Finish the Turn Based Strategy Course

I finished the course and I’m excited to expand it and develop a medieval rpg game with swords, bow and arrow, magic… Can you give me any tips on where to start developing an inventory and a skill system? Also when I test the game maximized, the characters glitch when walking from one space to another, they keep spinning madly and only stop when I click again. This only happens with the gameview maximized.

1 Like

I hope you enjoyed the course! Thanks!
For a Inventory System, I covered one a long time ago here Code Monkey - Simple Inventory System in Unity (Store, Use, Stack and Drop Items)
Although I’ve been meaning to make a new tutorial using Scriptable Objects but that video is a good start
You can also look here to see a Equip System, Crafting System, Inventory Tetris
Code Monkey - Crafting Items with Scriptable Objects!
Code Monkey - How to Equip Weapons and Items in Unity (Drag Drop, Inventory)
Code Monkey - Awesome Inventory Tetris System! (Resident Evil 4, Escape from Tarkov)
Code Monkey - Simple Skill Tree in Unity (Unlock Abilities, Talents)

For a Skill system, the Actions are essentially Skills so make a new action for each Skill you want to make.

Can you make a quick video on that glitch? Perhaps the units are not placed on Y = 0?

Sam’s RPG course (specifically, the Inventory one) does a good inventory.

Ironically, Sam and Rick try a different teaching style in the inventory course, which makes for great reviewing, but not necessarily the best instructing. However, the system is portable from game to game (I have used variations of it in a couple of prototypes). But as CodeMonkey says, his videos are great too.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll try to add them to the project. I’ll try to make a video of the bug, but the strange thing is that it only occurs with the screen maximized.

I have this inventory course, I will also try to implement it. Thanks for the tip.

Absolutely advised, pretty easy to be implemented with any kind of project and also quite easy to be extended.

Also I suggest the other RPG courses if want have some interactive NPCs (dialogue), quests and shops :wink:

Thanks, I wil try this too.

I conrrect the bug, on the move action, the stopping distance needs to be more than 1.0f, I set to 2.5f and the bug is corrected.

Check the comments for the move episode, I posted a better solution that always moves the player exactly to the finish location instead of using a magic number to know when he should stop.
I’m guessing that you might be running on a high resolution monitor (4K?) which is why that magic number didn’t work when you maximise the game.

1 Like

How fast are your players moving? If the issue is solved by increasing the stopping distance then it sounds like they are constantly overshooting.
If it only happens in full screen that is likely because full screen is more demanding which will make the game run at a lower FPS which in turn will make the unit move further on every single Update.

Thanks for the help, I used your code and I think now the problem is gone.

1 Like

The character move at the same speed.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms