Finally my own rig

You can rig and you can rig correctly

Blender is very versatile. Many solutions for many different problems. But the problem is: what is the most efficient solution. And what do you want to achieve? If you don’t know the latter well, you will continue to make adjustments.

Even now with this Blender Bender, I don’t think I’ve created my most flexible rig. It works basically what I want. I learned a lot in this process. I have now reached the level where I dare to make major corrections.
It’s the same story as modeling. In the beginning you are happy if it works a little. But you don’t have to do anything else about it otherwise you will get into trouble.

The same with rigging. You just have to do it and experience it.

• My biggest learning moment is not to base it on empties (it is possible and easy). Use 1 armature, because then you can easily manage bone connections.
  • Also, depending on the type of poses, don’t be afraid to change the models mesh. I re-did the arms and legs. The where 6 elements, but now joined into one mesh, for better curing of the arms and legs.
  • My biggest (and still not completely understanding) irritation, is the misalignment, or rotation of mesh, when dropping/working with the bones. Something to do with “offset”, but who’s remembers which part has offset or not …

My next step is to create poses for the library (shelf).

4 Likes

Back to the drawing board …

My first pose asset was to animate the mouth, which I made with very handy shape keys. And the name is a dead givaway, ‘shape keys’. Not a set of bones to pose …
Which I can not store yet … the shape key as a pose … learning moment …

I think to examine the way to connect a bone (maybe empty) as a input value for the shape keys. If I remember it correctly, I did this trick for the forklift project (also not finished …)

3 Likes

I might be misunderstanding, but maybe what you’re looking for is “persistent shape keys.” Seems to be discussed very little, but it’s possible to do entire animations just with those. I don’t know much directly though - only that this would be a term to research.

Looks great so far!

3 Likes

I solved it, using drivers between a shape key and a bone (blueish arrows).
@BH67 - I couldn’t fine “Persistent shape”, but yes, there are two types of shape keys!

Creating pose library, which was a problem, because you need to open the “Dope sheet”, while the manual talks about “Action Editor.”

facial-testv00001-0039-ezgif.com-video-to-gif-converter(1)

5 Likes

Way to go! Now he looks perfectly primed to flip the bird to all those smelly meatbags! XD

Also, my mistake, I thought it was “persistent” when it really should have been “absolute.” Sounds like you already have an idea about these anyway and I think your pose library solution will be much cleaner in the long run, but this is the video I was thinking of:

2 Likes

Thank you, a really nice tutorial.
I like the technical possibilities, more creativity allowed (like clay).
But more maintenance work, I think, in the end.

Blender is so much fun!

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms