Final Self Portrait Render and Final Post for the Blender Class

This project took me just under one month to complete going by sourcetree. Most of my time was spent getting the eyelids to a satisfactory level. There could also have been a little bit more facial detail (more variation in the subsurface map, the pores on the face could be more pronounced, blemishes and discolorations etc). I was going for as realistic as a beginner can get, so rather than following the tutorials on subsurface scattering and creating the node groups (which i had learned prior from resources outside the course) I decided to do the whole project using the Principaled BSDF shader. Below is my 4k final render of my human head, and seeing as it is a self portrait I figure I’ll include my source material as well so you can compare for yourselves. (Make sure to zoom in on the render, you can really see that detail when you get in there)

As this is the final lecture of the main course this is likely to be my last post here in the Blender course. If you are just starting the course I wish you the best of luck! I have learned a ton from this course, and it also inspired me to do a lot of other research and projects on my own. Below is one of the first models I made in this course around 2 years ago.

And some of the projects that I pursued on my own.

A flag that I animated using the physics in blender, unfortunately i can’t share the gif in this post.

A pair of photo realistic dice that I made during my downtime at work (dont tell my boss)

And finally a neon sign phone wallpaper that I made.
Thank you all so much for being a part of this wonderful community, and a special thank you to Michael and Ben who started it all a few years ago. Ive been a part of all this since the original Unity course kickstarter, I have supported every kickstarter since, as well as owning every course under the GameDev team just to show my support for the awesome content you all provide. I’ll see you all in the other GameDev courses, for now im going to go back and hop on over into Blender.

6 Likes

Privacy & Terms