Final render, exploding chess piece

Ideas are born in two seconds. Implementation days (weeks).
The lesson to cell fracture a glass object, with animated render layers, was simple enough.
So I though to re-use some mesh objects, apply new knowledge on materials, lighting, animation.
Created a chess clock, because it was easy to do. Add a cup, where I spend too much time on Sub Service Scattering, to make porcelain. Spending time on details and missing important details.

But here it is, my chessboard from section 4, low poly. Table cloth made with procedural texture. Bump mapping on the wood. Environmental photo. Glass, exploding glass, physics, force field. What can I say, I had a lot of fun. Less frustration, because I know to solve Blender problems. But it is still a massive program to master.

Enjoy, 10 seconds, 210 frames and 24h render time.

15 Likes

Checkmate !
BOOM
shattering glass sound

Really nice scene, crystal clear glass, nice wood mapping and tablecloth ! I like it :+1:
I would like the same chairs in my home.
Even if you spent time on the cup, I think it was worth it, it looks good, at least you can re-use the material in your future scenes :slight_smile:

It seems some of the chess piece are hiding, I can spot a light refraction at the beginning near the right side of the clock, it must be the white queen, … :thinking: … taking a cup of tea with a blue pawn, a blue rook and two white knights :laughing:. I suspect the second white bishop and blue bishop taking a bath in the cup, I think I am seeing a light shade of blue inside the cup.

Am I right ?

Cheers !

1 Like

In my attempt to make it more natural, I wanted to use a table cloth with wrinkles in it. The chess timer pushing wrinkles into the fabric. The board, the cup. But I found it too difficult to handle.

Nope, it’s a spoon. But I had problems of creating a metal looking object. Of course, downloading metal is a solution, but for me it was a learning process. Now I have learned that metal handles light and reflection different that all other materials.

1 Like

Excellent work!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms