Final chess scene

Here is my final chess scene :raised_hands:
I’ve been playing with blender for a few weeks prior to starting those great courses, so when Mike encouraged us doing it our own way, including high poly, I didn’t need being asked twice !

Feedbacks are obviously welcome :wink:

6 Likes

Love the way you’ve textured the wooden chest and tiles.
I miss that detail in the chess pieces. I think the metal base is visually too strong.

3 Likes

Nice chess pieces and board. I like the texture on the wooden box.
Reducing the roughness of the yellow metallic material a little will give it that golden yellow feel as now its too reflective.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your feedback !!
I used procedural texturing for the chess pieces, trying to have a subtle veined marble for the whites and a subtle suede leather-like for the blacks.
I guess I went too subtle there :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks ! I really appreciate your feedback !
Indeed, the brass might be a bit too reflective so it somehow distracts the eye and overloads a bit the scene.

2 Likes

Very nice set and board. Good textures, did not go mad on exotic procedural patterns as many do!

Depth of field mastered well too.

Green baise for the bases?

2 Likes

Thanks @NP5, I appreciate your comments.
Indeed green baize is such a good idea ! It reminds me of the chess set I used to play with as kid and would definitely make such a chess set more comfortable.

3 Likes

I like metal bases on the pieces. I don’t have such a keen eye as to tell you any way to make it better or different, but I just like that the pieces have the brass-looking bottoms. I think it was a good idea to go that direction.

3 Likes

Many thanks !
I’m glad you like it the way it is.

2 Likes

I don’t see anything wrong with it at all, but as mentioned, but I’m more of a programmer and I only dabble with Blender at the moment.

The other folks have more ‘artist’ experience and a much more keen eye for these kinds of detail.

I like it just the way it is.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms