Feedback on Feedback on BlendSpaces

OK, here’s some comment / though problems directly after watching this #234.
One thing I still don’t get is why nodes are placed in the blend space where they are. It’s not intuitive to me at all. I figure it’s because I’m probably not separating the AI’s forward direction, from a movement direction (i.e: he could move backwards + left, but doesn’t have to face that way).

A top down diagram might be useful here (slide) … showing what animation is used at each point on a axis around a circle. Followed perhaps by then placing the animation clips onto the 2d graph.

Also confusing is why a speed of zero moves the anim “backwards”. My expectation would be that a speed of 0 would be ‘stationary’. Maybe this comes later, but thought I’d mention it’s a bit confusing right now, as I try to get my head around pacing anime in the editor.

This next issue might be something to do with the Jog animation in 4.15. Not sure. One of the things I see in the provided unreal example is that at direction == 0, Speed of 270 the guys runs towards me (good), and nothing changes at all if I chance speed to 0 because both animations on the direction==0 axis are Jog_Fwd_Rifle. That does’nt seem right but I don’t know enough yet to know for sure.

Good so far, keep it up!

There’s actually a problem with the animations that I forgot to mention to @sampattuzzi is that the animations for forwards and left and backwards and right are incorrect. Here’s a forum post for a fix.

Because this is the jog animation which is basically for blending the directions, the locomotion state machine says that the jog animation won’t be set unless Speed > 10.

+/-180 is going backwards.

So the problem is with the assets rather than the techniques I showed? Or is there something that could be better in the videos?

Might be both? Not sure but if this is what @scornflake has problems with but it might be a little confusing that this graph is 2 dimentional but the same animation is used for 0 speed and max speed. Though there is a problem with the animation that going forwards and left or backwards and right shows an incorrect animation.

Okay, I could clarify the zero speed thing a bit better but I think I will wait and see how impactful that change would be.

I think the bottom graph is an option for a different set of animations which could be something like tip toeing while aiming down sight. so when we move slow we tip toe then as we speed up we start walking. and like dan said we cant move at the speed of zero once its been set in the games logic aka states.

Privacy & Terms