Feedback for Section: "Rocks & Trees"

Lectures include:

1. Section Intro - Learn about different ways to produce environment assets by making rocks and trees

2. Sculpting Rocks - Develop an understanding of the sculpting tools by creating rocks

3. PBR Materials - Learn about PBR or physically based rendering materials and why they are important

4. Displacement - Learn about Displacement materials and when to use them

5. Sculpting Trees - Sculpting tools and new tools in sculpt mode

6. Alpha Textures - Learning how to use Alpha textures for branches of trees

7. Texturing The Bark - Practicing PBR texturing and further understanding the use of texture coordinates

8. Building The Trees - Bringing it all together to build the tree

9. Changing the Leaf Colour - Using the decimate modifier to reduce the polycount of our trees whilst keeping the shape

10. The Decimate Modifier - Using the decimate modifier to reduce the polycount of our trees whilst keeping the shape

11. Collections & Links - Understanding collections, linking and appending items into news scenes

12. Section Completion - Some ideas for further development of your skills

1 Like

One of the main reasons I took this course was “Rocks and Trees”. I’ve started with Blender last November and after spending some weeks in pure tutorial space I decided to do my own project and apply the knowledge piece by piece. Originally intended to be rather low poly it got a bit more challenging after I found some great grass tutorial using geometry nodes. I’ve worked about 6 months on this model and probably spent the last three weeks only on trees and rocks using Grant’s method (no add-on was used for anything since I want to learn this stuff). The shrubs are a mixture of vertex extension and geometry nodes for distributing the leaves, but the big trees are all completely hand-made. Conclusion: Trees are not that hard, good-looking trees very much so.

I also did a “Making of” video, in case you are interested: Klopfsäge Fröhnd - 3D Model

4 Likes

Great detail with the ducks on the pond.

1 Like

Ive followed Grant during this lecture, but when i Try to rotate the tree selection all the branches goes in “random” directions. can anyone help?

You don’t have the screenshot large enough for me to tell, but do you have individual origins on? It’s likely that you’re not using the ‘median’ point of transforming by. Good job on the trees.

You might run into better response time by creating a new post, this particular one is older and not directly about questions like this.

Privacy & Terms