Feedback for Section: "Intro & Setup"

Please leave your feedback for this section here.

Lectures include:

1. Welcome To The Course - Sam welcomes you to the course and shows you some of the games you will be creating.

2. Installing Unreal Engine - We walk through the process of installing a version of Unreal Engine.

3. Community & Support - We introduce the ways that you can get help, support and contribute to the community.

4. Links & Resources - This article shares with you all the relevant links and details for getting support, asking questions and accessing resources provided by your instructor.

5. Navigating The Viewport - We create a new project in Unreal and learn about the core elements of the Unreal UI: The Viewport, World Outliner and Details pane. Then we learn to navigate the Viewport.

6. Moving & Placing Actors - We learn that the objects in our level are “Actors”. We learn how to Translate, Rotate and Scale theses actors and add new ones. We use this to create a little platformer.

7. C++ versus Blueprint - We learn what the Blueprint programming language is and when we would use it versus C++. We see the structure of the next couple of sections and when we might want to skip ahead.

8. Helping Us To Help You - Sam shares his tips on asking good questions and how to get more info to include in your question.

Jump in and leave feedback

4 Likes
  1. not accessible yet, so no feedback
  2. I had to grant firewall access for 2 processes when launching unreal engine 5
  3. If I install the course as an “app” on my mobile device, will I be able to download some lectures and watch them in offline mode? Currently I think the only way is via udemy.
  4. My template looks different

5. Nice.

Overall: Without knowing Lecture 1 I am quite unsure about the following questions, which I should have answered before buying the course :stuck_out_tongue: :

1. For me there is the choice between Unreal and Unity. Why Unreal? I can think of 2 reasons: C++ is industry standard (mentionend in Lecture 7), Multiplayer integration is better.
  2. Pricing for the two engines? They are both free to use, but what about selling a game etc? What about bought assets; assets free for one month?
2 Likes

I had no idea on how to download UE5.0 by myself as I didn’t know about the drop down menu and having to do it AFTER clicking on a new Engine - so, that was very clear!

I like the presentation and the manner - always good to hear a calm and confident voice when doing something that’s pretty scary otherwise, and early access.

Great start!

2 Likes

This is a known issue (they changed it during recording). I’m going to do a rerecord.

Good point, I will try to address these when I make the welcome video.

I do like the speed of the video and I can easily follow the instructions on the default settings. I did notice I made a mistake with my previous license installed so this will help a lot. Glad you cover that at the start of the video. Also, I can’t remember how to install version 5.0 previews 2 until I notice the menu from the video instructions. Thank You!

Installing Unreal Engine - Overall very useful for people new to Unreal. You may consider talking very briefly about the option of being able to download the engine from GitHub and talk about the pros and cons of the two different ways of installing the engine.

Community & Support and Links & Resources - Both great sections to easily get plugged into the community!

Navigating The Viewport - I believe this video will be helpful for those new to using Unreal Engine or any 3D software.

You may want to add a piece of footage explaining the Window Tab and the available options there. Especially bringing attention to the option of docking the content browser and output log windows.

Moving & Placing Actors - This was great, although it may be helpful to remind people of the Window section and the ability to have a Place Actors window docked. Currently, I find this window super helpful to be open during development.

C++ versus Blueprints - This is video is probably my favorite add on to your new C++ course! I have gone to YouTube in the past to search this topic but it is nice to have that right here in this course! I’m excited to learn more about that here.

Overall, so far I am really enjoying the course. There is some stuff that you may want to add in this section. Maybe an extra video going over the basics of general settings and basic customization options for the editor?

I hope this feedback is helpful to you. I am genuinely looking forward to continuing this course!

Hi.

I really liked the addition of the C++ versus Blueprint video to the intro section of the course.

Looking forward to diving in deeper!

Hi Jatin (shuriken) this side,
I wish to do some updates to my guide on gamedev.tv guide Accessing Unreal Engine Marketplace on Linux , it is still fine but a couple of changes would suffice.
Also great to see the UE5 course, the instructions for Building from source are not given however they are exactly the same from the previous Unreal Engine 4 course. the branch name would change to 5.0 and rest is the same, If you want I can provide a video to you.

Also easy following videos like this along the way like Managing assets, Getting VS Code or other Code editors/IDEs up and running. I can submit you some videos if you desire with voice and slides.

Great start! :tada: Just a quick remark, the fast project loading without starter content still took a while for me: compiling shaders :laughing:

If anyone is confused or needs a refresher with navigation (like myself), this link to the unreal engine navigation webpage may help out. Viewport Controls | Unreal Engine Documentation

1 Like

LOVED the intro. Great pace, just the right amount of detail on what would be covered, and most importantly I think, a really great showcase of the awesome content that we’ll be creating. The Crypt Raider and FPS game just make me want to dive in and get coding, it looks really inspiring!

I had no problems once i figured how to get it started downloading. the plus button was not yellow and the UE button was unresponsive. I had to log out and log back in then the button allowed me to start the process.

Just a quick note - looks like in the 5.0.0 release the default binding for stopping play is Shift+Escape.

You can change this by going to Edit > Editor Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts. Search for “Play World” and the scroll down to the Stop (Stop simulation) binding.

Epic probably changed this to the new default to make it easier to open an in-game menu with the Escape button while running PIE/SIE.

subtitles would be nice

2 Likes

Could you please update the Discord invite link? It says that it’s invalid when I tried to use it

I’m completely new to the unreal Engine though have some experience with Blender \ Unity \ c++\ c#.

In the section for navigating the Viewport, I am a bit old school and prefer to use the mouse with an inverted Y Axis, I found it difficult to navigate without the Inverse but after some digging, I found that Unreal does support the inverse capability.
It might be worth adding a section on this as I’m sure there must be others who also would prefer it set like this.

My Notes are below,
Setting Y Inverse in the Editor:

• Select Edit > Editor Preferences
  • Search for Inverse
  • Under Controls Tick the Mouse settings you want to invesre such as Invert Mouse Look Y Axis

Setting Y Inverse in Play view

• Select Edit> Project Settings
  • Look for Engine > Input
  • Change the Scale from -1.0 to 1.0 and close the window
  • Click Play and test moving the actor the mouse Y axis should now be inverted as you move about

For anyone having trouble with copied objects “unloading” so you can’t access/edit them in the main editor after your first play, you can solve this problem by:

Window->World Settings
World Partition Setup
Enable Streaming
Then Disable Streaming
Click OK to “all actors will remain loaded”

(UE5.1)

Things were super slow getting set up with Unreal, on my older laptop.

I found some fixes and made this post:

Getting a faster laptop helped.

Privacy & Terms