Failed flights uvmapping course

Really didn’t want to do this portion of the course for some reason. I actually skipped modelling the plane entirely and used a toy-plane put together a couple of months ago. Wish the textures had been available from the course specifically, but I was able to put together something. Made it silly at the end with my animatic.

Failed Flights - Blender animation - YouTube

Cycles

Eevee

4 Likes

Fun video, ski ramp take off assist. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Lecture 63, Texturing the Wings, resource folder has the 'Spitfire reference and texture.rar resource in it.

2 Likes

Good work.:sparkles:

1 Like

I second this. I personally felt this was not their best work. For me, it was a combination of many things that greatly demotivated me from going through this section.

• Paid courses should not plug sponsors/partners/friends that are a a paid-for resource. The free credits are no longer a thing. It just feels iffy. The downloadable resource on the course does not have the building textures — at least not the Udemy version.

• While texturing the spitfire plane with an actual photo is a good learning experience helping us learn how to manipulate and navigate UV editor, it’s obviously a bad practice to do this. One would ideally create the textures externally over the UV islands or paint them with multiple textures. The student in me appreciated the direction of the course as it really challenges me to work with the tool, the professional graphic designer in me was turned off by it as I’m against teaching bad practices in courses.

• I feel we should’ve had a section dedicated to UV and textures incorporating building part, roads, etc using real life photos for textures. The plane part should’ve taught us texture painting instead of using the UV manipulation in a convoluted way, which should’ve been covered earlier. Texture painting was not covered. I don’t mind it too much because I bought their sculpting course too, which might cover texture painting. But still…

It was not a “bad” section, but it felt executed poorly in a rush, and it took way too much self-coaxing to get through it. Over a month! Only section in the whole course I genuinely did not enjoy. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Agreed. I felt like I was flying through the lighthouse, dungeon and dino sections, really enjoying it, and this section was like hitting a brick wall for some reason, and I ain’t been back to it since.

(The texture.rar files are only useful if you can open .rar files. I’m coming at this from an arty background, not a computer background so should i download softonic, winzip, nchsoftware - I’d rather not have to, cos I don’t know what’s what, don’t think winzip’s free either)

Liked the dungeon vid HP

The free credits do seem to be available.
There have been a few students, largely on Udemy Q&A, Who have responded to the occasional other student who can’t get the free textures. They say all they did was e-mail Texturesdotcom asking about them and they were enabled.
It is not clear if this is deliberate on their part of just a glitch affecting a few random people.

Grant only used them as they are free, there is no relationship or intent to get people to used paid for resources. The number of students bringing the issue up is tiny. So it does not seem to be a universal issue.

The building ‘textures’ are odd ones. Not available elsewhere as they are not really a texture, just an image. I did find that odd to be used when in effect only available at Tdc. But basically any image square on to a suitable house will work the same. GameDev would not be allowed to distribute textures, or images, that are other people’s as I understand it. Free they may be but not redistributable by anyone?

You could always skip the plane section. I do think the UV stuff was more complex than ideal for first uses.

Even as an old man I knew of rar files. Perhaps they have gone out of fashion? I found a free utility easily enough to decompress them. I agree it is odd to use the format rather than zip. Just looked I used 7-zip.

Please stop saying this. It is completely within your ablity to sign up a new account and see for yourself. It is NOT available. The TAs blindly disagreeing with students need to stop. It makes it more iffy than plugging a sponsor. I contacted their support support@textures.com multiple times and they did not get back. I had asked a friend that had active subscription to download textures I needed and paid her half what would’ve cost me. I still had to pay for the textures. I don’t appreciate this as I already paid for 7+ courses in advance which I’m going through one by one.

The number of students bringing the issue up is tiny. So it does not seem to be a universal issue.

Irrelevant. How many people got past dungeon? Only small portion of students finish the course. It’s standard for any course. Not about if it’s a good course or not. I wouldn’t have bought Grant’s courses if I thought it was low quality. However, this texture thing, It is a universal issue. It is not tiny, I gather 100% of students that reached the section brought it up. This sweeping it under the rug attitude needs to stop please. First acknowledge, then students will feel less iffy about it. To me you Tas behaving this way is what demovated me the MOST and made me regret jumping the gun on buying several courses. Be genuine and I’ll be happy, behave this way and I’m regretting buying 7+ courses. Why regret? I fear more sponsored plugs in those courses and TAs that’ll argue with us without acknowledging it. 🥹

Solution?

Simply add a text note on the course acknowledging the free credits are not available anymore and DON"T argue with us as if we are lying. That’s how mutual respect works.

Only reporting what other students have said. Not just one either. I have not seen anyone come back and say they could not then get them, till you just said so.

No idea no access to such data in my lowly place. It has not come up in the q&a that I see much at all, as I have said. At a wild guess perhaps ten or so? Of course not all affected will perhaps ask.

Question ‘textures.com is not giving free credits anymore’ responses on Lecture 54 the house texturing and I think the first encounter with the need to get them.

Jigmey
3 months ago
send e mail and they will start the freee credit .

Adam 2 months ago
just chiming in to let them know that i also had to email them about it before they started my free credit,

Alexander 2 months ago
I just signed up for textures.com last night. I emailed them at 10:54PM about the credits. They put the credits in my account by 6:45AM.

Lecture 55 ‘can’t find free textures’

John
3 months ago

I emailed them. They answered next day and the credits were there when I logged on.

Textures.com still DOES NOT OFFER FREE CREDITS!!!’

Leri
2 months ago

[SOLVED] Thanks Nicholas. That’s good to know I can just use any pic. And textures dot com did get back with me and I got free credits and I’m moving along nicely on the course now.

Lecture 56 Wooden Barrels UV’s

Textures.com doesn’t provide free trial credit anymore. I can not follow your lesson. Can you provide any texture to follow?

Jacob
1 month ago

I emailed them and got it. Thanks.

I am not making this up. What I am saying represents all the feedback I have seen. If it is a bigger problem I am sure GD would very much like to know and find some way of sorting it out.

1 Like

Then they are only giving credits to those that mailed them, that too selectively. Please ask the course manager to acknowledge the issue via text and suggest possible actions such as emailing support or free alternatives and TAs to be filled in about it so TAs are not arguing with students. If nothing else, it will greatly enhance the student experience. I just want the whole learning experience to be pleasant. So, clear communication is way to go. :blush:

So, please note, they don’t give credit to everyone who emails, I am proof of that. I have no reason to think you are lying, so I’ll accept some may have gotten credits after email. However, I have not gotten credits. I’m sure I am not the only one who did not get credits.

2 Likes

For some reason the rar hadn’t worked for me despite trying to get winzip to work it out. I realized that’s what it might have been after I entered my flag regarding it, sorry about that.

The barrels still missing from the course was a bit of a shame, but you shared the metal barrel texture I used in this actually on another forum, so thank you :slight_smile: it is a really amazing texture for what it is.

I do agree to some extent that I think the best route would be acknowledging with a note ‘some people may have trouble accessing credits or the free textures at this site’ and providing at least one barrel texture and one building texture to use instead. Seeing their work, I know they could create at least one of each and attach them as PNGs or ZIPs to the resources. That could avoid any complaints.

1 Like

Hi Guys,

This seems to have become a larger issue in recent days as Textures.com have decided that they will no longer be giving out the free credits even when you email them to ask for it.
I have contacted the production team to see what we can do to resolve this issue and make that learning journey a smoother experience for future students.
I apologize that this did get onto my radar sooner but to explain with the textures.com textures we are not allowed to supply them as course downloads as their licensing state that we are not allowed to redistribute them.

It may take some time to get this resolved and at present i dont know what the solution will be but please know that we are looking into it to find some sort of solution for the future.

4 Likes

Thanks NP5.
yeah, i think rather than trying to “get it right”, I’ll just hash something together, wade through, and move on. I keep wondering, how am i going to get back into this? and i think that’s the way!

yeah, winzip was a part of windows back in the day wasn’t it? you didn’t have to go elsewhere to extract files… (can someone not just copy and change the resources to .zip to make everybodies lives that bit easier?)

the free uv map thing didn’t work for me. no tokens. i just screen grabbed and cut them out. and it looked terrible. but it’s not a huge deal for the building because you could use a photo of any building you want could you not? - like, just go take a photo?

The plane - slightly more difficult. Digging around, some conversation somewhere led me to Search media - Wikimedia Commons.
I tried using pics off there. Maybe I should isolate the planes image from the background and try again…

1 Like

Privacy & Terms