Extruding plane hides normal within the object

I’m trying to extrude the plane downwards to get this diorama effect, but this messes up the normals of the plane, and I wonder why.

I uploaded a gif that shows how the normals disappear in the diorama. It seems like the plane has a top and bottom side, and I pull the top side through the bottom, but I don’t know how to prevent this.

extruding_plane

2 Likes

It’s because of the direction you are dragging the floor. Inwards the -Z direction.
Basically, like a trouser inside out.

Just apply extrusion. Then in edit mode, normalize the normals. shift n I believe.

4 Likes

shift-n fixed the normals, thanks a lot for this. I was mostly confused why this is happening in the first place as I don’t see this happening in the video.

1 Like

I understand. Try to remember what Blender functions do. Instead of following a cooking recipe.
Because, Blender is very flexible. So seeing a state of a object in the view port, does not mean all properties of that object are the same. There can be differences in the way you did the initial steps, but leading to the problem you had.

It’s not a big problem, I’ve been there myself. Struggling with a different outcome than the teacher has. It is easily overlooked, a small hot-key command for example. if in doubt, ask!

And have fun!

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right! Also, having had a different outcome as the teacher forced me to dig into the problem a little and I think I know now more than if everything just went smoothly.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms