Exporting to Unreal Engine 4

I intend to use Blender to create game assets for Unreal Engine 4. Here are the important things I learned:

1. UE4 uses a right-handed coordinate system, like Blender. It also uses centimeters as its base length unit.

2. In UE4, Z is up, but X goes left-right, not back-forth. So, You will need to rotate your models 90 degrees, or just build with Y axis pointing toward the front. What I don’t understand yet is whether the Y arrow should be pointed toward or away from forward.

3. Models are exported using FBX format. Blender knows how to do this. FBX models supposedly can be imported back into Blender.

5 Likes

great post to share info, just to add on that, if you want to export as a single mesh, select the objects making up the whole body, right click and click on “join” on the menu. That way the whole thing will be combined to one static mesh. This I found to be pretty useful, since otherwise you need to assemble the whole thing again in Unreal Engine.

1 Like

Interesting as in my blender X is left right, when looking in front view 1 on number pad. Which suggest exactly the same as Unreal.

Privacy & Terms