Exporting my Defender to Unity

Hi

My end goal, at the moment, is to model a Land Rover Defender, rig it, texture it, and be able drive it around in a Unity game scene.

I have got as far as finishing much of the model and adding materials and shaders to the parts I have done. Having watched this lecture I decided to export it to Unity and see what came through. All of the materials are there and assigned to the correct parts of the Landy but the shaders are all gone.

I was planning on using Blender to UV unwrap the model and add bump maps for dents and low relief detail then put a texture layer over the base shader with dirt, scratches, and other small surface details.

Is there any point in doing any of that in Blender or should I try to do it in Unity from the outset? Will any of my texture work translate over? I’m expecting to have to reapply the textures to the materials but, if I UV unwrap and sort everything out in Blender, will it mean that I can just put the textures back on in Unity and it will all fit properly?

Any thoughts / advice on this much appreciated!

Cheers!

Dan.

Hi Dan_Marfleet,

As you have already noticed, your materials do not work when exported to Unity. Unwrapping is universal in a sense that it’s bound to the model data so you can use unwrapping data in any other program you export your model into.

If you are planning to use Unity standard shader (comes with Unity) you can choose either metallic or specular workflow with the standard shader. These are a bit different in terms what the shader does with the textures and what data it uses to highlight material properties. Unity doc is here.

There you can also see what type of textures you can use with the standard shader. So basically you can produce the normal map, specular map etc. in Blender and then use those in Unity. And they work out of the box. Just remember that all you can export are textures containing the relevant information for Unity shader.

Hope this helps!

Cheers, Jax

2 Likes

Hi

Thanks a lot for your reply. That cleared things up very well.

Cheers!

Dan.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms