Export from Blender To Unreal

Hello.
Does anyone know how import and export .fbx file into Blender that it is usable for Unreal Engine.
I do nothing only import file and then export and I have rotation issue in Unreal.
and I don’t understand what magic or what … going here.
I have wrote about this Third time and Please somebody help!!!

might it be problem of blender version. my version is 2.81
here is link of issue

I have not tried it yet, but there is a pluggin that perhaps can help you:

Did you ask in the gameDev forums for unreal?

In blender the Z-ax is up. While in other tools it’s not.
so, could this be the problem?

Like FedPete said about the Z-axis. Blender and Unreal Engine both use different axis to represent directions in 3D space.

If my research is correct, you’ll want to change some of your export fbx settings in Blender.
Forward should be -Y and up should be Z in the main tab and in the armature tab, primary bone should be X axis, secondary set to -Y axis.

This should make it so you don’t have to manually change those orientations once you import into Unreal Engine.

The other option is to not change any settings for the Blender Export, but instead, change the transform rotation settings when you import into Unreal, but I haven’t found exactly which axis to rotate or which direction like 90 or -90 on the x, y or z axis.

1. I have not asked yet because its Blender issue not Unreal
  2. All axis combination I have tried a few weeks ago already. if it would such simply problem I don’t write it third times

one solution which I used: rotate “root” bone itself 90 degree, I change “root” bone X value like so

Its looking weird but its work in Unreal

it’s worked until today. now I have animation that such rotation change animation itself, because its moving Up:
normal animation:
Blender_2.PNG

rotate animation:

might be it work if I copy and past all up moving keyframes to another axis, but I can not believe there is no another simple way to fix it.

Why?

In the old Blender 2.79 course, Michael showed the steps to export from Blender to a game engine.
Maybe you can find some hints on this problem in those chapters.

The bones do have there own local axis!
Bones can have different relations to each other.

Mesh data and armature data are different items for both software packages.
Maybe you need to focus on .fbx versions in relations to different software packages.
Because once writing some questions but don’t receive usable answers.
Can be an indication that the question is not well formulated (use a different point of view on the problem).

This Blender forum is (I think) mostly used by designers and not developers.
Personally I did an export once (2.79 course) but I have no interest in 3D game development.
That’s why you need to ask this question in the Unreal section. More people with this kind of problem solving knowledge.

1 Like

I don’t know the details, but for skeletal meshes there are some additional considerations you need to follow to move the mesh to unreal. But as @Munsa pointed you there are official plugins for it now, so I would recommend checking them out. There were also couple of livestreams on them, you can find them on UnrealEngine Youtube channel. Also if you don’t want to do it with those plugins - about a year ago Epic had couple of streams about workflow for Blender to Unreal without those plugins.

1 Like

What I really don’t understand is why you rotate the root bone. All the articles I have read highlights that the root bone must began in any animation at (000) and with no rotation:

3 Likes

First Thank you Guys for help:

it’s optional and not necessary because Unreal start animation from root bone, therefor it’s important where root bone is located

Unfortunately I can’t use plugins because it’s support version 4.23, my Unreal version it 4.19 and not worth upgrade project maybe it’s became reason many other problems

what about my issue. I fix it in that way as I told above:
all keyframes from Hit bone copy and pasted into root bone, but I change axis
Y into Z and Z into Y then rotate root bone X axis
now it’s work, but it’s very painful when you have to do it in each case

may be @FedPete is right and it’s must fixed not Blender but Unreal side (when import file into Unreal), because I try every possible way in Blender to correct rotation when export file
but in logical, if Blender take and change original file why it has no option to change back such file into origin condition

That is what I don’t understand. I tried with the swimming position you asked help before and I didn’t need to do that. I didn’t touch the rotation of the root bone because all the animation was in a single direction. What I did was rotate the hip bone over the root bone to have a “swimming position”. Then, on Unreal, when I marked the “root motion” check, the animation was correct.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I understand the root motion like the origin where Unreal “begins” the animation, so if Unreal has a loop animation, the root bone serve as the origin (in rotation and position) for the next loop. So, in the first loop, Unreal expects a root bone on (0,0,0) and with no rotation. In a lineal movement, the rotation of the root bone isn’t used, because the movement (not the mesh) doesn’t change direction, only position. If there is a walk (or swim, or run…) that changes the direction of the movement (ex: a turn of 90º), then the root movement must turn, but not because the mesh turned, but because the movement did and Unreal must begin the next animation turned 90º.

That is what I understood of root motion, so I really don’t understand why you rotate the root bone on the origin.

I may be really wrong of how root motion works because I am just learning it, so if some Blender/Unreal expert may explain it, I would be grateful.

No root motion is something else:
First I rotate the root because it’s correct rotation for Unreal without it I would have same result as my video above
root bone must be (0,0,0) location because it’s bottom and center of CapsulComponent and it’s object itself witch contain skeleton mesh. if it’s not (0,0,0) you get such result:
Mush_1.PNG
animation will be far away relative to CapsulComponent.

what about root motion.
you don’t need root motion at all if you have not movement animation, where skeleton mesh change location. for example: climbing on the wall:

if you not check root motion CapsulComponent stay on the ground and only Mesh will go up and when animation finish Mesh will go back on the ground into CapsulComponent

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms