Explosive challenge

My version of the grenade; experimented a bit more with mixing up my pencils. Especially discovered that the harder pencils are in fact very useful for my guides (sorry, it took me a while to realise this :sweat_smile: ). The shading itself, I still find this tricky to do, though (but that may be because I’m not investing enough time to actually get better at this). Also, the metallic look with the “think vertical highlights”, I don’t think I have a good enough eraser to do that accurately :frowning:

Looking at this again, some lines and proportions are off as well, and the shadow doesn’t show the indented part, but all in all I did have fun drawing this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, you are right.
It’s a shame that the tutor did not mentioned clearly at the start of this course.
I bought the course because it advertised that you could do it with only with pen and paper.
I understand why it is teached used a tablet, but more preparation about pencil types would be handy.
More people are struggling with this.

It really help if you have a wide range on pencil hardness. #H … BH … #B
Most people do have an HB

IIRC, I think he did mention it somewhere, to use H for your guides … But I didn’t realise that I could use a “higher” H (in my case I used 4H) to make life easier :sweat_smile:

I do have a cheap drawing tablet that I plan to use as well, but I’m thinking of doing the course on paper first so I can at least practice my strokes properly. Also, I’m hoping that doing this on paper also encourages me to just “doodle” whenever I have some free time and I have a pen(cil) and paper at hand, rather than only being comfortable when I’m drawing digitally. And, even though I have an eraser, I feel like I’m forced a little more to “live with imperfections” on paper, rather than having an undo button when working digitally.

But when I finish the course, I may do it all over again, digitally then and see it all again “from the other side”. I’m hoping the “struggle to get a feel how to shade with pencil” is harder than the “struggle to learn to work with software such as Krita” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms