Expanded 3rd Person Combat and Traversal

Hello, I originally posted this as a question to see if there were any current plans to expand the course as I found it very helpful(and sure others did as well)and it was recommended to me to post it here.

I think it would be very helpful to see an expanded 3rd person combat and traversal course that included the additions of Swimming, Ranged Combat(Bow and Arrow, Throwing Weapon, Throwing Spear, etc), and more Parkour Actions.

I know for swimming, it is essentially adding a swimming state and a Swimming check similar to ground check, but I am always interested to see different ways people do things and why they do it one way or another. There are tutorials on youtube for swimming, for example, but it is usually along the lines of “Do this to get it working” rather than “Here is how and why you should do this to get it working”.

Ranged combat is also essentially just adding an Aiming and Firing State where Aiming controls what happens when drawing/holding an arrow that will either go back to idle or a firing state which controls what happens when you actually shoot the bow. Again though, while I understand the basic concept of it it would be nice to see it explained in a bit more detail.

What would be really cool though, is showing how to combine melee and range combat. For example, lets say you have a spear and use left Mouse button to attack with melee. Maybe you want to use Left and Right Mouse together to block with melee. Then you want to use Right Mouse button to enter into aiming state and from there your left Mouse button allows you to throw the spear. In fact you could make the course even more educational and show a Knife and an Axe. That way you could show how to set up The Knife for both melee and raged, and then with an animation override controller, use the Axe.

Some more Parkour type actions I would like to see would be things like running at a fallen tree with a gap under it or a gate that is coming down but still has a gap under it and being able to slide under it. Running at an object of varying heights and depending on the height performing a different action. Maybe balancing on a narrow beam and having a chance of falling off.

As I said in my other post. I understand how to do these things in theory and can put code together “to make it work” but would very much love to see it explained in detail as to the most efficient way to code and why. I am sure it would prove helpful for a lot of others as well.

Privacy & Terms