Excellent course

Thank you for making this excellent course!! I truly enjoyed following along and I got what I came for - and a lot more. This couse truly covers all the knowledge needed to start working on your own turn-based strategy game.

My motivation for taking this course was to learn about the action system. I have been toying with a small turn-based game myself, and I got stuck in a hell-of-complexity situation with my unit-action-system. The one you implemented is so easy to follow and extend, so you really helped me along. On top of that, there were some improvements to my grid-system that I made because of what you showed in this course.

Some suggestions for a future (next level) extension to this course:

• When you implement an action, it would be nice if you also added a appropriate animation for it, when it makes sense. I know you teach how to do it, but when you implement the grenade action, I had hoped that you would show how to use a throwing animation and how to detach the grenade via the timeline at a certain point in the animation. That would have been an excellent way to show how to use the timeline for triggering functions at certain time-points.

• How to implement fog-of-war. You show the beginning of such a system in the ā€œFinal Levelā€ video, but it would be so nice to see how this could be extended to use a stencil shader or something similar to apply a more organic fog of war.

• The course is very grid-oriented wrt to actions. Most actions need you to click the floor tile to activate the action. For movement, this makes perfect sense - but for shooting at a enemy, it makes much more sense to click the enemy model rather than the floor the enemy is standing on. Same for interactions - makes more sense to click the object to interact with rather than the floor it is on.

• In the ā€œPolishā€ section, maybe show how you can use Render Features to show silhouettes of units behind objects.

Hope you find these suggestions useful :slight_smile: And once again, thank you for this excellent course.

1 Like

Hi @Vulture

Thanks for the feedback, Iā€™m sure @CodeMonkey will appreciate it.

If you are interested, I wrote a long, somewhat cringey post on how to target the enemy by clicking on them instead of the grid. You can find it here: Shooting at enemy by Click on ā€˜em instead the grid?

2 Likes

Hi @bixarrio

Thank you for your pointer to your post about updating the code so that I can click enemies to shoot them. My suggestion was to include this in the course to make the way the game works more intuitive. I managed to implement this myself because I have several years of Unity experience, but other course participants might not have the skills to do this. So, your post will surely be helpful :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a large part of the Community experience here. Hugo had given the structure of the game, and already many users have worked up extensions to improve on it.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions, Iā€™m glad you enjoyed the course!

When I made the first prototype for this course I did make a Fog of War system but didnā€™t end up including it in the final course in favor of other things (like the interact action)
But since youā€™ve gone through the whole course you should be able to understand the code in the original prototype which you can download Code Monkey - I made XCOM in 25 HOURS! (plus Special Announcement!)
Basically for Fog of War you fire a bunch of raycasts and see where they hit something, this is much more dynamic than the simple system that is used in the Final Level, that one is just a black sprite hiding some part of the map and then revealing when the player moves to a certain position.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms