Every time I create new C++ class, VSC have problems with all include paths

Hello, every time I create new C++ class, Visual studio have problems with all include paths -

[4/3/2024, 8:38:09 PM] "Tower.cpp" not found in "D:\Unreal Projects\ToonTanks\.vscode\compileCommands_Default.json". 'includePath' from c_cpp_properties.json in folder 'TOONTANKS' will be used for this file instead.

I had this situation with Tank.ccp/.h, Tower.ccp/.h, and few times in previous tutorials I tried rebuilding the project with “ToonTanksEditor Win64 Development Build” and restarting Visual Studio Code - with no luck, only thing that helps me was “Refreshing Visual Studio Project” but that’s kinda problematic to do every time I want to add new class is there anything I can do with it?

For a test I added another C++ class “Test” and it has same problems, I think problem might be that compileCommands_toonTanks.json doesnt, get updated:

[
	{
		"file": "D:\\Unreal Projects\\ToonTanks\\Source\\ToonTanks\\BasePawn.cpp",
		"arguments": [
			"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2022\\Community\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\14.37.32822\\bin\\Hostx64\\x64\\cl.exe",
			"@D:\\Unreal Projects\\ToonTanks\\.vscode\\compileCommands_ToonTanks\\ToonTanks.1.rsp"
		],
		"directory": "D:\\EpicGames\\UE_5.3\\Engine\\Source"
	},
	{
		"file": "D:\\Unreal Projects\\ToonTanks\\Source\\ToonTanks\\BasePawn.h",
			"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2022\\Community\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\14.37.32822\\bin\\Hostx64\\x64\\cl.exe",
			"@D:\\Unreal Projects\\ToonTanks\\.vscode\\compileCommands_ToonTanks\\ToonTanks.1.rsp"
		],
	},
	{
		"file": "D:\\Unreal Projects\\ToonTanks\\Source\\ToonTanks\\Tank.cpp",
		],
	},
	{
		"file": "D:\\Unreal Projects\\ToonTanks\\Source\\ToonTanks\\Tank.h",
		],
	},
	{
		"file": "D:\\Unreal Projects\\ToonTanks\\Source\\ToonTanks\\ToonTanks.Build.cs",
		],
	},
	{
		"file": "D:\\Unreal Projects\\ToonTanks\\Source\\ToonTanks\\ToonTanks.cpp",
		],
	},
	{
		"file": "D:\\Unreal Projects\\ToonTanks\\Source\\ToonTanks\\ToonTanks.h",
		],
	},
	{
		"file": "D:\\Unreal Projects\\ToonTanks\\Source\\ToonTanks\\Tower.cpp",
		],
	},
	{
		"file": "D:\\Unreal Projects\\ToonTanks\\Source\\ToonTanks\\Tower.h",
		],
	}
]

Oh I almost forget I use Visual Studio Code version 1.87.2 and UE 5.3.2.

I’ve also checked that in UE my editor is set correctly:

And this is outcome of LiveCoding after creating new class:

Manual recompile triggered
---------- Creating patch ----------
Running D:\EpicGames\UE_5.3\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat -Target="ToonTanksEditor Win64 Development -Project=""D:/Unreal Projects/ToonTanks/ToonTanks.uproject""" -LiveCoding -LiveCodingModules="D:/EpicGames/UE_5.3/Engine/Intermediate/LiveCodingModules.json" -LiveCodingManifest="D:/EpicGames/UE_5.3/Engine/Intermediate/LiveCoding.json" -WaitMutex -LiveCodingLimit=100
  Using bundled DotNet SDK version: 6.0.302
  Running UnrealBuildTool: dotnet "..\..\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.dll" -Target="ToonTanksEditor Win64 Development -Project=""D:/Unreal Projects/ToonTanks/ToonTanks.uproject""" -LiveCoding -LiveCodingModules="D:/EpicGames/UE_5.3/Engine/Intermediate/LiveCodingModules.json" -LiveCodingManifest="D:/EpicGames/UE_5.3/Engine/Intermediate/LiveCoding.json" -WaitMutex -LiveCodingLimit=100
  Log file: C:\Users\igord\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log.txt
  Invalidating makefile for ToonTanksEditor (source file added)
  Parsing headers for ToonTanksEditor
    Running Internal UnrealHeaderTool "D:\Unreal Projects\ToonTanks\ToonTanks.uproject" "D:\Unreal Projects\ToonTanks\Intermediate\Build\Win64\ToonTanksEditor\Development\ToonTanksEditor.uhtmanifest" -WarningsAsErrors -installed
  Total of 3 written
  Reflection code generated for ToonTanksEditor in 1.1652633 seconds
  Building ToonTanksEditor...
  Using Visual Studio 2022 14.37.32825 toolchain (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.37.32822) and Windows 10.0.22621.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10).
  [Upgrade]
  [Upgrade] Using backward-compatible include order. The latest version of UE has changed the order of includes, which may require code changes. The current setting is:
  [Upgrade]     IncludeOrderVersion = EngineIncludeOrderVersion.Unreal5_0
  [Upgrade] Suppress this message by setting 'IncludeOrderVersion = EngineIncludeOrderVersion.Latest;' in ToonTanksEditor.Target.cs.
  [Upgrade] Alternatively you can set this to 'EngineIncludeOrderVersion.Latest' to always use the latest include order. This will potentially cause compile errors when integrating new versions of the engine.
  [Upgrade]
  Determining max actions to execute in parallel (8 physical cores, 16 logical cores)
    Executing up to 8 processes, one per physical core
  ------ Building 3 action(s) started ------
  [1/3] Compile [x64] ToonTanks.init.gen.cpp
  [2/3] Compile [x64] Test2.gen.cpp
  [3/3] Compile [x64] Test2.cpp
  Total time in Parallel executor: 0.61 seconds
  Total execution time: 4.06 seconds
File D:\Unreal Projects\ToonTanks\Intermediate\Build\Win64\x64\UnrealEditor\Development\ToonTanks\Test2.cpp.obj was modified or is new
File D:\Unreal Projects\ToonTanks\Intermediate\Build\Win64\x64\UnrealEditor\Development\ToonTanks\Test2.gen.cpp.obj was modified or is new
File D:\Unreal Projects\ToonTanks\Intermediate\Build\Win64\x64\UnrealEditor\Development\ToonTanks\ToonTanks.init.gen.cpp.obj was modified or is new
Building patch from 3 file(s) for Live coding module D:\Unreal Projects\ToonTanks\Binaries\Win64\UnrealEditor-ToonTanks.dll
   Creating library D:\Unreal Projects\ToonTanks\Binaries\Win64\UnrealEditor-ToonTanks.patch_1.lib and object D:\Unreal Projects\ToonTanks\Binaries\Win64\UnrealEditor-ToonTanks.patch_1.exp
Successfully linked patch (0.000s)
Patch creation for module D:\Unreal Projects\ToonTanks\Binaries\Win64\UnrealEditor-ToonTanks.dll successful (0.000s)
---------- Finished (0.000s) ----------

Ehhh I just had enough - Visual Studio Code is literally the worst IDE I ever used, it’s very slow, I mean VERY SLOW sometimes I literally need to wait like a 2-3 seconds before it will show me autocompletion or which parameters are accepted in to functions, which for anyone who doesn’t code might not sound that bad but normal IDEs show that instantly. I’ve installed Rider and it’s like comparing driving Volkswagen Golf from 1998 to newest Mercedes E Class. I really regret that I didn’t do that earlier in the course…

I’ll let that topic open in case if anyone else have same problems with Visual Studio Code, and I’m open to test things out with it, but for me it’s not that important now.

Privacy & Terms