Essential Urge Ranged Attacks with Controller

The current problem concerning ranged attacks when we are using a controller versus the mouse, is that we do not have a way to remotely target an enemy with a controller.

Possible solutions:

When the player hits the ranged attack button, the game pauses to allow the player to select a target. This will downplay the immediacy of combat, and the frantic flow of combat; and it will reinforce a sense of strategy, while creating a sense of mounting worry that comes from waiting, in between explosions of combat. (Naah, probably not)

It is possible to do away with the idea of ranged combat at all, or even more outside the box, make the main character a pacifist who only uses defenses and area debuffs to overcome hostile NPCs. This will magnify a sense of smallness and worry, while encouraging creative problem solving. (Hmmmmm…)

I could create an AIMING CONE that will select the closest enemy in range and target it for ranged attacks. (This feels off…)

I could simply make the player shoot and hope for the best. This method seems primitive and mean though. (Naah)

I could implement an attack mode when the attack button is hit, and then switch the cursor and camera control to a targeting script. This would absolutely slow down combat, as every attack would require two commands, unless I let the player lock in on a specific location or enemy. (Buh… it feels boring)

I am REALLY liking the idea of making the player play something of a pacifist. Equipping and readying a weapon can create an attack zone around the character figure. This zone lets the player know what area is threatened by the attack. Then, the attack animation with colliders will determine hits. This way, the player will need to be conscientious with their weapons, as well as deliberate with where they face their figure while they fight. Ranged weapons will have attack zones as well, but they will look more like attack shapes… Ooh, though… players will want to be able to rotate the character without moving. Turn to aim.

Okay, so, right stick = rotate, left stick = move. Weapons will cause a Threat Area to highlight (Perhaps players can turn this off) Attacking initiates the attack animation.

Of course… now how do I do this with mouse and keyboard?

Privacy & Terms