Escape Room Sketch - Let's give it a try!

This is what came out of my mind!

Please, let me know what you think!

1 Like

If you want to be a real sadist, have the door in room 1 start unlocked, and use the key from room 1 to unlock the door in room 3. :smiley:

Looks fun, though. Having both reveal and unlock puzzles on the same door is a nice touch.

Thanks for your suggestion!
I thought of a puzzle for each room and I ended up not having an overview.

It would be nice to make a single big puzzle, where the smaller puzzles make up a bigger puzzle!

I will keep this for future works! Thanks!

I’m fascinated with the idea of revealing hidden depths.

For example, a series of rooms that unlock by placing the right objects on the right triggers. The puzzle is “match objects to triggers”.

Some rooms have objects that are not part of the puzzle. Their purpose seems to be to force the player to engage in a process of elimination in those rooms.

But then the player reaches a room that has no objects in it at all, only triggers. They have to retrace their steps and recover those seemingly useless objects from prior rooms. Suddenly a visual cue that meant nothing makes sense, and puzzles begin to span multiple rooms. The puzzle is “match objects to triggers in thematically connected rooms.”

But then the player reaches a puzzle where no single object activates a trigger. Some objects must be assembled into specific configurations to activate the trigger. The puzzle is “match logically connected object components into assemblies that activate triggers in thematically connected rooms.”

But then one such configuration produces an assembly that is a light source. The light source reveals new puzzle objectives that require clues… that were on the ceiling the whole time, shrouded in darkness! And there are different colour light sources, and specific reveals require specific light colours. At this point, the puzzle’s getting pretty deep.

In the end, I think that puzzle within puzzle within puzzle is more rewarding than puzzle after puzzle after puzzle.

Tackling this would require quite a lot of supportive artwork, so I plan to come back to this much later, when I’ve done the Blender course!

I could not agree more!

However, thinking about it, I think is far harder to make a puzzle inside a puzzle inside a puzzle than making a puzzle after the other.

Now that you are making me think about it, a Zelda-like approach could be interesting: you can proceed on a dungeon but then you need a special object to reach the final stage.

I don’t think that, in this moment, I’m able to design such a complexity or able to “evolve” it, but I will keep all these ideas when I will be more expert!
Moreover, I start to think that this is fun: try to design games that are always more interesting and stimulating!

I have to thank you again, for sharing your (very interesting) point!

I think that’s very sensible. Otherwise, we’d end up making a puzzle game for the next year, instead of moving on to the next section, where there’s more stuff to learn! :smiley:

Nice one! I like how you’re expanding on the things that we’re learning and not just copying straight from the videos. I’m doing something similar in the sense that I’m creating several rooms and which require a player to solve multiple puzzles, collect multiple objects, and avoid certain things, in order to complete the game.

EscapeRooms

Here is the layout of mine.
You start in the small centre room and need to get to the room you see above it. To get there you will need to visit the other five rooms, but will need to figure out how to gain entry to those as well.
I haven’t ironed out all the details, and it probably won’t be super pretty, but it’s all a good learning experience.

Who knows? Maybe someone is making a game through our talk. It’d be really cool!
Moreover, I think that I will move to the next section and truly learn a lot of new things, but I also think that this discussion is helping me learning something new!

Thank you for your opinion!
I had fun trying to design the layout of the game and I hope it will be fun once it will be completed.

Yours seems really cool and I have appreciated the fact that you see the final door is right there from the beginning but you to complete several challenges before you’re able to pass. Good thinking!

Privacy & Terms