Error when Using Unitialized Variable for Out Parameters

Hello, I’ve been following the Unreal Bulls & Cows course for a while & have been successful in following along & retaining knowledge of the course.

However, when I took the “Out Parameters” chapter & attempted to pass the “Bulls” & “Cows” variables into the “GetBullCows” function, it returns an error in Unreal.

I am currently running Unreal Editor 4.22 with Visual Studio 2019. with no internet connection.

Here is my code:

// Show the player Bulls and Cows
int32 Bulls, Cows;
GetBullCows( PlayerInput, Bulls, Cows );

void UBullCowCartridge::GetBullCows( const FString& Guess, int32 BullCount, int32 CowCount ) const
{
   BullCount = 0;
   CowCount = 0;

for( int32 GuessIndex = 0; GuessIndex < Guess.Len( ); GuessIndex++ )
    {
     if( Guess[ GuessIndex ] == HiddenWord[ GuessIndex ] )
     {
      BullCount++;
      continue;
      }

for( int32 HiddenIndex = 0; HiddenIndex < HiddenWord.Len( ); HiddenIndex++ )
    {
     if( Guess[ HiddenIndex ] == HiddenWord[ HiddenIndex ] )
     {
       CowCount++;
      }
    }
}

Here is the error Unreal 4.22 returns upon compiling:

\...\bullcowcartridge.cpp(102) : error C4700: uninitialized local variable 'CowCount' used
\...\bullcowcartridge.cpp(102) : error C4700: uninitialized local variable 'BullCount' used

Now I already know they’re uninitialized, & they aren’t receiving the values passed by the GetBullCows function, but I want to understand why this is. I’ve gone over the tutorial many times & skipped back & forth, & I can’t seem to find the solution.

Any help is appreciated, thank you for your time.

You don’t have the parameters to be references. You have them being passed by value i.e. it will be copied.
They need to be int32&

Thank you so much! I’ll implement this tonight

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms