Error when trying to delete a branch

When I’m trying to delete a branch I get this error message. What does it mean and what should I do about it? Many thanks!

I’m very rusty but what i would do here is download the commit from github and save it to a seperate folder and run the project.
This way you can see what was merged and saved.
It may be similar files dont get merged but it will rule out anything being missing and we can go from there :slight_smile:

Hey there!
I’m not entirely sure what the problem is, though it appears to me as if the issue happened because of the way that the branches were merged.

The highlighted commit message in your screenshot shows that you merged the master branch into the Doesthisbranch branch, but based on your graph and your commit history, I assume that perhaps you meant to do it the other way around?
That is, perhaps you meant to merge the Doesthisbranch branch into the master branch and THEN delete the Doesthisbranch branch?
You can also see this problem in the graph, where the blue line connects to the pink/red line as opposed to the pink/red line merging back into the blue line (the master branch).

Here is how one of my merges in the course looks, to show what I’m referring to:

So I believe that the reason for why you’re getting an error when trying to delete the Doesthisbranch branch is because the merge was done the other way around, and deleting the branch now might cause that merge and commit to be left hanging on its own.

Oh, and one final observation…
I think that on your last commit on the master branch, where you want to see if merging the branches worked, you might not see anything from the other branch in the master branch because as far as it is concerned, you never merged anything into it. Instead, the result of the merge will be found in the Doesthisbranch branch.

Hope this makes sense and that it helps you to figure out what the error is! c:

2 Likes

Oh no, you might very well be right… It was indeed my intention to merge the ‘Doesthisbranch’ into the master… Huh, now I need to figure out how to fix this then. I will try to find how myself, but if you have some advise that also would be great:). Many Thanks^^.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms