Error creating second smaller walking tv man

I was hoping to create a second smaller tv character walking alongside the first one, but for some reason when I try to copy and paste the flipped pose on frame 12 it causes frames 6 and 18 to turn into this. Would anyone have some tips or advise as to what is causing this? I’m going to move on with the one tv man for now since he turned out fine.

1 Like

Not sure what you did, but scaling things is a difficult subject.
You scale the object, but basically, the mesh inside stays the same.
The mesh is what is managed by the bones.

I think this will work also:

• Duplicate the big guy A including the rig (Armature) as guy B - two identical copies
  • For B you add an empty
  • Make this empty a parent of the Guy B en its armature
  • scale the empty

Other possible solution:

• Duplicate the body
  • Scale this one and APPLY scale!
  • Add an armature
  • Rig the object
  • The animation of the big guy can be copied as data to the smaller one (but never done it, but. Animation data is just a data object to be reused).
4 Likes

I ended up duplicating the smaller tv-kid and making sure everything was applied (including a couple of the mirrors, though likely unnecessary) adding the armature and re-rigging it. It still is not working when I try to paste an x-flipped pose. As you can see, I’ve tried a few different methods to get this to work. I’m really not sure what I’m doing wrong at this point anymore.

1 Like

Does the flipping work at full size?
It may be a case of making the animation work on the second one before shrinking it.

1 Like

Remember that you start working on coordinates 0,0,0.
Mirroring by default uses this. Moving the object or armature will deform everything!

Use an EMPTY to:

1. Be the center of the body mirror
  2. Be the center of the armature
  3. Acts as a parent to the complete objects (body, tv-set, etc.) and armature.

Use use empty to move the object and armature.

2 Likes

I second this. I’ve moved and scaled rigs by parenting to empties before and I think that is the best solution.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms