Empties chess set Made the rest of the pieces for fun

I looked ahead a little and didn’t see where we might be making the rest of our chessmen so I just went a head and made them. These aren’t the traditional design but are based on a more contemporary one I found online. I really wanted to do smooth shading but it really messed up my bishop and knight so I reluctantly stayed with the flat. Also, staying with the low poly design instead of trying to get all the design elements I wanted. But all that will come later.

5 Likes

I love that you made it without even following the videos! Great job and I love the design!

1 Like

Yes, smooth shading can sometimes create havoc on you model.
It has to do with the number of vertices in your mesh and how they are placed.
Loop cuts become important to mark sharp edges, or not!
You will learn.

Some student, say using low poly but in real the have a lot of vertices. Thus easier to smooth.
Your chess models are really low in vertise count. Which was the intention of this challenge and learning experience. You can always come back to this challenge if you have more knowledge.
And make really smooth, high poly count, mesh objects.

Have fun. show us your progress!

1 Like

Perhaps better not to look ahead but to continue through as the course presents you with new things to do? I know it can be frustrating, but you, nor I, would probably be making a chess set at all other than as a learning process!

1 Like

I did it mostly to practice the things we’ve done already. And to challenge myself. It was fun!

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms