Emphasize pivot point and how to set it

Just spent a good 20 minutes trying to figure out why my 3 cubes didn’t rotate like the instructors. There is no mention in the tutorial of pivot points and how they affect rotation of multiple objects. This really should be explicitly brought up.

2 Likes

It also depends on how you set up your transformation configuration!

Be aware that, the instructors, choose a learning curve path.
Now you learn this specific item. But some lessons further, you learn other Blender features.
There is no harm in studying on your own, if in doubt. Ask a questing, in the ‘ask’ section.

Have fun and a warm welcome.

1 Like

There is a lecture about pivot points. You are right at the beginning of the course, things are covered as you need them while doing the course.

Welcome to this site.
Show us your progress and get feedback and advice.

1 Like

I am aware, and solved the issue. It is more that, in the example of building a staircase I followed explicitly as instructed. You are directly shown to copy 3 example steps and rotate only to run into a wall due to the pivot point being set to local and not median. I’m a pretty tech-savvy kinda guy so I dug around and found a solution, but as far as feedback on the course, it was certainly a frustrating point.

A quick video note adding a couple of seconds of info about pivot points would have saved significant time and not disrupted the flow as much.

Would be a simple and effective quality increase.

3 Likes

I just watched it.
It is actually right. For the way he did it.

He never touched the default pivot point. In effect he did it at the most simple of simple levels. Rotating each step or set of steps first then repositioning them round the later added central column. It is ‘messy’ freehand. You are right and it would be better/easier, to rotate round a centre point. However it is more ‘advanced’ to go into pivot point setting. Though it comes quite soon later in the course. You could go more advanced, array the steps, use an empty to rotate and raise them. However this early in the course it was about simple rotation, duplication, moving etc.

2 Likes

There are many solutions. The goal is to learn basic steps, not to overcomplicate things at the start of Blender. Slowly building the Blender knowledge.
(Personally, I would use arrays and empties)

1 Like

Privacy & Terms