Elemental Fire Knight of Doom, Death and Destruction (...a villain, I assume)

Top Down Fire Knight of Doom BIG
The mysterious Crimsorious, knight in the service of the flame spitting Red Mountain, follows a kind of unconventional code of honor. As he mastered the elemental power of fire to a certain degree his eyes began to burn red from within while he slowly gave himself more and more into the embrace of the flaming darkness of his heart.
The bushy red feathers on his helmet are part of his understanding of fashion and shall strike fear into the hearts of those stupid knights that dare to stand for the goodā€¦

6 Likes

Years a ago I played a game ā€˜Vikingsā€™, seeing this I remembered it.
Well done.

1 Like

Thank you, Pete :pray:
Vikings? Do you remeber if it was ā€œjustā€ Vikings or if there was something else in the title?

1 Like

Searched and found ā€¦ " The lost Vikings".

2 Likes

Ahh, I see! That title image is an awesome piece of pixelart!
Never played it though, do you recommend it? :slightly_smiling_face:

I really like your wizard and knight! How do you go about shading your art? Itā€™s really well done and something Iā€™d like to be able to do one day.

1 Like

Hi there,
thank you very much for the kind words - irt means a lot especially since I feel very unsecure on the field of pixelart.
The general idea I use while shading is pretty basic:
Which direction comes the main lightsource from?
(Imho from the top right if the character faces right and top left if he faces left works quite well most of the time; if you have two chars and one faces right, one left and the light shows different shadows it might look strange if it is the sun, but maybe very accurate if the standing beneath a lightbulb or a torch).

Then I go closely with the explainantions of the course:
Starting with one colour for the piece which is to be coloured (letā€™s say the headgear), add a darker shade of it at the places which are not so well lid (still thinking about the lightsource mostly from the top, so they will be further down; the helmet itself will cast a shadow onto the head/the eye area or where it ends). After that I take a lighter shade and do the highlights.
And if I feel there is much space left unused or the coloured area feels too plane I gradually add some more lighter/darker shades so that the original colour still is the colour that transports the feeling.

What helped me a lot to impove me general understanding of lighting is indeed blender; after setting up scenes and lighting them my drawings improved a lot with the lighting in them.
Other than by putting an appkle onto the table and look for the shadows blender provides us with the possibilities of having complete conrtrol about all lightsources and I guess THAT is what helped me a great deal.

Hopefully my answer is of some use for you and donā€™t worry: If I can do a decent Pixelart you will be very well able to do them as well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation! It makes sense to me. I managed to snag a couple blender courses with the black Friday deal :slight_smile: . Understanding the shadows and light is tricky for me, donā€™t know why, just find it hard to visualize this. Studying your pixel art has helped a lot though. Hope to keep seeing more from you as the course goes on!

2 Likes

Thanks man, but the very same counts for your artworks! :grin:
My further entries will probably need a bit of time as corona struck me down last week and I am thankfully recovering now :crossed_fingers:

May I ask which courses you laid your hands onto? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Everyone in my life has been on and off sick for a couple months. Itā€™s crazy how much flu/cold/covid stuff is going around right now.

I just finished the two pixel art courses and Iā€™m working on the 2D gimp course right now. Iā€™m starting to feel a lot more confident creating pixel art thanks to these courses!

What courses are you into right now?

1 Like

Sounds good; never tried Gimp but it is commonly used and often talked about, so what I have seen from it it seems to be a software which is accepted o be of a certain quality; and the logo is funny as well :wink:

I have to admit that I am very often switching between courses here and on Udemy as well. The majority are blender courses for designing characters or scenes and I definitely recommend the courses of Grant Abbitt on character design, the other courses focus mainly on coding in Godot game engine (I am really no coder by nature, for sure not :joy:)

In terms of the desgning courses I meanwhile often pick out the chapters which I need at the time I am working on a certain projekt and do the other chapters later; as the courses are usually very beginner friendly there is a lot of basics which isnā€™t necessary to work in the correct order if you have a bit of routine in blender.

And a few single courses are more general stuff like creating concept art, improving on drawing skills etc.

But at the moment I really enjoy diving into the pixelart style, breaking all down to a minimum and still strive to get good looking results :smiley:

2 Likes

Sounds like youā€™ve got a fair bit of art experience under your belt! Iā€™m going to be taking the blender courses at some point, but right now Iā€™m diving into the pixelart style and 2D stuff like you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Privacy & Terms