Edge slide on medieval building roof distorts roof texture

HI,

When working on the medieval roof module that is four units long, I have an issue when extending the roof. As instructed, I went into edge mode, selected the roof edges, hit GG and then C (to turn off clamping) and then extended the edges. Unlike in the video, the roof texture gets distorted. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong? I’ve included a picture below with the roof extended, so you can see the distortion in the texture.

Thanks,
Leif W.

2 Likes

Very weird effect. Please show the UV map workspace.
Preferably with the affected face selected.

General Q&A note
Help us all to help you.
Please give full screenshots with any questions. With the relevant panels open.
Also, include the lecture time and name/number that is relevant to the problem/issue.
This can be done by Blender itself, via the ‘Window’ menu bar top left hand side.
On that menu drop down is ‘save screenshot’.
Close ups additionally where they help.

2 Likes

Here’s the screen shot you requested. I also wanted to mention that as I slide the edge the distortion worse gets then becomes normal. If I continue to slide, the distortion comes back and then clears. It’s like a pattern that changes between the distortion and normal. I also took a video and will try to share a link as well.

Leif W.

Here’s a link to a video of the issue.
Blender Edge slide issue distorting texture.

1 Like

Watching that video it just looks like a display lag. The computer struggling to keep up with the live changes.

UV looks ok, no odd shapes or connections.

Do a test render not just the viewport, with the camera looking at that area. Proper Cycles.
(Oh and 2.83 is a bit ‘old’ now. Does not necessarily mean it is relevant to your texture odd display though. But remotely possible)

1 Like

The face mesh ratios (w * h), must match the UV-Mesh.

• Are you sure you’re using the correct UV-MAp, (object, etc). Just check

Hi FedPete,

Thank you for the response. Please forgive me if I make any stupid statements/questions below as I’m still learning Blender. Something about you statement rings true because the distortion comes and goes as I extend the edge. If I extend the edge and stop while there is distortion, it never clears up. This would indicate that it isn’t a performance issue where the processor is trying to catch up. If I keep on extending the edge, it will get to a point where there isn’t a distortion. This oscillation between distortion and clear image keeps repeating as I extend the edge. I’m wondering when the image is clear that the ratio is correct at that point.

<<The face mesh ratios (w * h), must match the UV-Mesh.
Are you sure you’re using the correct UV-MAp, (object, etc). Just check>>

How can I check the the above as you suggest?

Thanks,
Leif W.

1 Like

Use the UV-mapping tool.

• Work on model
  • then go to uv-editor and uv-unwrap again. Sometimes clear map first helps.
1 Like

Privacy & Terms