Duplicating error

It seems that I duplicated my column and clicked, sitting it over the top of the original without noticing, so it had duplicate verts, edges and faces. I didn’t notice until I’d done a lot of progress and found teh knife tool was locking onto the ‘back’ face and bevels were acting very strangely in some places. So, rather than restarting I went into wireframe, selected everything and merged the verts, but I still seem to have double faces (I can delete a face and there isn’t a gaping hole in the model, unless I delete the second face). I probably could have selected the object and it would have moved one column off the other, but since I merged verts that isn’t an option.

Can you merge edges and faces to remove the over lying pillar? Given that I just decided not to create bevels where it caused problems, is it safe to ignore the issue, or should I just start again?

Thanks.

Erm, really merging verts ought to have merged the duplicate away. It suggests you moved it fractionally when you duplicated it. You could try again and increase the distance the merge looks for duplicates in the pop up panel.
You could go over very carefully looking for the duplicates but odds are it is so simple at that stage it would be easier to make it again.

1 Like

Thanks. Increasing the merge distance fixed it. It left lots of “borken” surfaces that I took the time to fix, because I wanted to understand what caused it instead of starting again, but triangulating where necessary, and rebuilding some surfaces, seems to have made it workable.

Thanks

2 Likes

Most likely a duplication of the object, not noticed when done so redone and moved as originally intended. It is easy to happen.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms