Dungeonis demo so far!

I have been following this course to the end and lots of great stuff. Have tried some collaboration that didn’t really work out but managed to purchase some assets and am one step closer to making one of my dream games. Anyways here is a demo vid:
Dungeonis Demo vid

Would love to hear any thoughts or comments. Some things are still rough around the edges but I am fairly happy the game so far. Look forward the next part of the course and seeing other demos!

3 Likes

That looks fantastic! Puts what I have done so far to shame.

Couple of questions if I may:

1. I note that you have special abilities being dragable onto the hot bar. How hard was it to get to that point from where it was left in the course?
  2. I also note that you have checkpoints or respawn points implemented. Any tips on how you went about this?

Keep going, it looks awesome!

Thanks,
Greg

1.)I kind of cheated there and just tossed $10 at it on the asset store: S-Spell

That being said it still took my 3 days or so to integrate everything in well enough to where I was happy with it and still had all the functionality of before.

2.) Check points are actually a toggle system and two scripts interacting with the player object. I have a game control and a spawn point that does not destroy on load. I also have a default spawn point set in each scene. Here is the basic idea of the code. TODO: make it actually save out when you quit the game so you can resume from there, it just makes a checkpoint for the current game session/scene.

//need to know a respawn point, and if to use a default set in the level or one that doesn’t destroy and moves to a checkpoint object. You also need to know about the player to move them to the spawn point transform.

Game control code below:

public bool setToDefaultSpawnPoints=true;
public GameObject playerRespawnPoint;
public Player player;
//the line below allows any class to access this one without finding it and such. Just use Globalcontrol.Instance.
public static GlobalControl Instance;

private void Awake()
	{				
		if (Instance == null) {
			DontDestroyOnLoad (transform.root.gameObject);
			Instance = this;

SceneManager.sceneLoaded += OnSceneLoaded;
		} else {
			Destroy (gameObject);
		}
	}

private void OnSceneLoaded (Scene scene, LoadSceneMode mode)
	{
		player = FindObjectOfType<Player> ();

//Find leveling stuff.
		SetExpBarOnLoad ();

//probably better way than tags to do this....
		if (!setToDefaultSpawnPoints) {
			playerRespawnPoint = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag ("PlayerRespawn");
		} else {
			playerRespawnPoint = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag ("InitialSpawn");
		}
		if (playerRespawnPoint == null) {
			playerRespawnPoint = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag ("InitialSpawn");
		}
	}

from there you also want another script to be on the checkpoints.

private Player player;
public GameObject playerRespawnPoint;

// Use this for initialization
void Start () {
	player = FindObjectOfType<Player> ();
}

void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other){
	if (other.gameObject.tag == "Player") {
		GlobalControl.Instance.setToDefaultSpawnPoints = false;
		playerRespawnPoint = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag ("PlayerRespawn");
		player.playerRespawnPoint = playerRespawnPoint;
		player.playerRespawnPoint.transform.position = this.transform.position;
		player.SavePlayer ();
	}

the player will also need to know a spawn point and basically retrieve the one you want to use from your gamecontrol object.

so like on start you have:

transform.position = GlobalControl.Instance.playerRespawnPoint.transform.position;

Hope that gives some idea. Just one way to do it I am sure. and later I want to have it save out so you can just resume from a checkpoint after you shut the game down.

1 Like

Your post was visited by the formatting fairy… :slight_smile:

See also;

Thanks will try to remember that for next time.

1 Like

No worries, more than welcome :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms