Dropped inputs with .is_action_just_pressed() in _physics_process() in old Godot

Okay, this one is a rather specific issue so I won’t be salty if mods decide to toss it and it will probably be irrelevant for 99% of users, however…
There was an issue where Godot would drop inputs occasionally when using Input.is_action_just_pressed() specifically from within _physics_process(), if they were pressed only briefly or if the physics tick rate was low or the frame took longer than the set tick rate to solve. It has since been fixed for current and future versions of Godot 4.
However, I’m making note of it here because this fix was only issued in June '23 and the version the course is using is slightly older.
So, if you happen to be a stickler of using the exact version of Godot that the course uses and happen to find that on rare occasions your inputs get dropped, either update to a newer version or move your input reading to either the _process() or _input() functions and you’ll be good.

2 Likes

yup, good point, as a general rule for my own projects i keep the inputs in process or the input callbacks and leave the physics for handling what it does best.

ill pass the feedback on, cheers

1 Like

Privacy & Terms