Drawing with quads?

Okay, never done this before. Modelling a character with just quads is hard A.F. I think maybe harder than sculpting (my very limited opinion). I am not the biggest fan to be honest, but I know its important for game assets later. Any advice or links to courses or resources? I think it may be more entertaining if I drew the character and assets then had to model it. I think sculpting for me at least is more engaging as well.

2 Likes

What course are you doing? The Anime one? Where proper modelling is used.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have been at it all day and im just getting done with the head. I think I will get faster over time but damn lol

2 Likes

It is the best way to model characters. (imo) In effect you are doing what is later in the sculpting workflow called re-topology. But starting with it! Making it right from the beginning. As a slightly longer time user of Blender this was how things were modelled . Sculpting had a bit of a concentration and upgrade on it, (rather like now all the fuss has been on geometry nodes), and then more got obsessed with that as the route to use.
So learning how to will hold you in good stead for when you hand re-topologise sculpted characters, essential and better than auto re-topology.

3 Likes

I decided to start over and slow right down. I think I understand a bit more and my model this time looks a lot better. I wouldn’t be able to create the same level without instruction yet but progress is progress. Its hard to believe the results people can get from such a low poly count.

Cannot wait till I understand edge flow etc. I started watching Grants re-topology playlist on youtube to help with my understanding. Any suggestions of lines of study to speed up the learning progress?

1 Like

Like most things it is practice. There are topology guides on line which are very handy reference when wanting to move from 2 face loops to 3 and many other variations of that. Increasing and decreasing the quads while avoiding tris.

Here’s where I got at the moment. Finally finished the character. Restarted twice. probably will sculpt the face later and then have a go at re-topo.

2 Likes

Looks good.

I think the Anime style is meant to look that way, no reason you can’t sculpt a more realistic head though.

2 Likes

Privacy & Terms