Dragon sculpting

Just finished the dragon sculpting tutorial. Still cant believe that I was able to create such a model! Great course, learnt a ton.

16 Likes

That is a great dragon. He might have trouble flying with those holes in his wings though!

Thank you! Haha yes the poor guy didnt turn out too aerodynamic. This was my first sculpting so I kinda got excited and went overboard with adding details :smiley:

1 Like

Nice looking dragon indeed. I like the texture as well.

I wouldn’t worry about the holes though. Nothing Duct tap cannot fix.

3 Likes

Now there is a challenge! Has to make a keeper of the dragon busy fixing duct tape over the damaged wings! :rofl:

1 Like

Love the idea! :smiley: Just started the orc character tutorial, I think completing that should give me a solid enough base to start a humanoid character on my own. Next project is going to be the dragon keeper.

3 Likes

I was like “what dragon sculpting course?!?” until I realized it’s brand new. :laughing:
Very nice result, looks like it was a lot of fun. Certainly better than the first dragon I sculpted as well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Amazing work! Great attention to detail! Especially love the tail and color scheme! I’m about halfway through the dragon sculpting course, I might use this as inspiration!

2 Likes

35:24 In the video is where he got the inspiration for the wings… I love the detail in your model. and the HDRI is beautiful.

Thank you! I used to draw a fair bit of traditional drawing of monsters and such so I think I had a solid foundation to start from, and suprisingly (at least to me) digital sculpting is not that different, basically drawing but from several angles. It was indeed a lot of fun, and very educational aswell!

1 Like

Thanks! Oh boy did I have fun with the snake hook tool doing the tail! :smiley: I bit too much actually… You can see some black spots and dodgy details where the spikes are close to one and other. I messed up a couple of times crossing the spikes and the normals of the faces dont always look the right direction… but lesson learnt. As for the color it started as a white/blue icy dragon but is was kind of blend. Then I discovered the subsurface…and basically turned him into a plucked chicken :smiley: So I went back to texture painting and ended on the darkish skin with green undertone from the subsurface :slight_smile:

Yes sculpting is like drawing, except from EVERY angle haha :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks! The inspiration for the wings came when cutting the mouth of the dragon with the boolean! :smiley: The HDRI is from poly haven, it is called “The Sky Is On Fire” if you want to look it up

I was just making a joke, cos they were talking about cheese in that scene lol

Oh now I get it! :sweat_smile: I thought you actually meant the part with booleans haha

Love the holes in the wings, nice touch!

1 Like

Looks very realistic!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms