Dragon Run

Hi everyone!

After taking the 2D intro course & starting this 3D course, I decided to challenge myself to see if I could build upon the ideas in this section of the course. The result is Dragon Run.

If you would like to see a video of the game, Click Here

If you are willing to try it, you can download it Here

5 Likes

Your video of it looks promising, I might even give it a run! I will tell you what I think when I get to playing it.

2 Likes

I played all 10 levels:

Overall it was a pleasant little game,- decent music, simple enemy sounds and animations, but satisfying enough.

I would consider putting the fire button on the keyboard to separate it from the mouse. I found myself accidently pressing the fireball key when trying to fly, and vice versa.

I found that some of the trees and foliage obscured the walls and coins at times, other than that, decent level design:

I think level 8 is missing a coin , I could only find 11.

When you beat the game I found that the quit button did not work. I had to start a new game and then quit.

Kudos to your game, Cheers!

2 Likes

The video looks good. Is there any way you can post a WebGL version to itch.io so we can play it without downloading it?

You see, it’s a .exe file which will not run on Linux. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Looks good, like the assets and the music, I second Jay_for_shorts comment, I would prefer a webGL version to try as it looks very promising

1 Like

Thanks Zangk - I made the changes, based on your feedback. Really appreciate you taking the time to try my game :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry - I thought I responded to Jay_For_Short. I took his advice and: ShareMyGame.com by GameDev.tv

The glow effect doesn’t work on the main character, but otherwise, it’s identical to the desktop version.

2 Likes

I played the game and I liked it. I appreciate you taking the time to put it in WebGL format to make it more accessible to me and the other 3 Linux users here.

I can easily see this as being a mobile game, it just needs more levels.

The attention to detail was good. On some levels I could see the shadow of the dragon on the trees in the background. It didn’t go unnoticed.

Like @Zangk mentioned, sometimes the foliage in the foreground obscured the view of a coin or other, but I found this to be a little more part of the challenge and not a bug, as it was only momentarily and it was pretty obvious after a little movement that a coin or something was there to be collected.

I also had a little trouble clicking the wrong mouse buttons once in a while, but I don’t have a better suggestion to fix that. That decision would ultimately depend on how you would want your final export, whether console, mobile, web, etc.

I liked the music and the effects. The controls were very smooth and not clunky. I only had a few problems negotiating the courses, but those instances didn’t take me more than a few tries to pass, so there were challenging, but not impossible, which is very good.

The varieties of enemies was nice, and each enemy had a distinct appearance and movement pattern.

There is nothing that I ‘didn’t like’ about the game.

The pacing of the enemies was a little slow, but that forces the player to try to move faster and risk making mistakes, which is a good challenge for a time-based game. I was not playing for time, so I did not get perfect on all levels, but I did play all 10 levels.

Hmmm…what would I change about it…I guess the biggest thing that puzzled me was “Why would the dragon die if it touched a rock? Those things are climbing machines!” Also, I get that the containment has to be some sort of challenge, so it is what it is and I understand that.

I’m glad there weren’t many levels like level 10 where the background pushed the player forward. I don’t mind that mechanic used once in a while in a game, but games built on that mechanic are aggravating to me and I lose interest quickly.

I think if I were to change anything, I would consider each different level like a ‘World’ as in Super Mario Bros. meaning that I would expand each theme out to be about 10 levels each of increasing difficulty.

The open cave, the day time forest area, the night time forest area, the castle exterior, the castle interior, maybe a lava cavern with lava-falls and falling rocks to dodge, maybe some lightning in the right places or a thunderstorm where appropriate, maybe use the Y gravity setting in Unity to have a ‘wind effect’ that pushes the player gently to the right for increased challenge, etc…just a few ideas.

I really think you should continue to develop this and see where it goes. I’m sure you’d be able to come up with at least ten unique ‘World’ themes (I think a couple of them were used twice in this iteration) and at least five unique stages per theme. You could easily build this out to somewhere between 50 ~ 100 levels with more effort, and it would be worth putting a price tag on it.

Anyway, long story short, I think you’re on to something. It deserves more work to be a game you can sell, but I can easily see people paying a few bucks for this game on Google Play or a similar platform.

I would like to challenge you to put in two months of serious work on this and show us what you have at the end of September. I really think you’re onto something.

Oh, also, you might consider naming the characters, as players seem to relate more easily to characters with names. It doesn’t really have to be anything fancy, but a name leads to a persona and an attitude, and even if these have little or nothing to do with a game-play mechanic, the will make the characters more relatable and like-able. Like Smokey the Bear prevents forest fires, Dora the Explorer likes to discover stuff, Solid Snake is a tough soldier that sneaks around like a snake in the grass, Master Splinter likes to eat sticks and chew on wooden furniture, etc…I think you get the idea. Just a thought.

2 Likes

@Zangk

I believe the quit button only works on a standalone build as it is designed to quit a running application.
I’m not sure which version you played, but if you played a standalone build then disregard this. Your comment would be valid.

If you played a WebGL build, then the quit button probably won’t work.

I think I recall Rick saying something about this is in the Block Breaker tutorials…or maybe the Number Wizard UI tutorials…one of those places.

1 Like

@b4t54ndw1ch - thank you very much for taking the time to play the game and give me feedback. I really do appreciate it.

Once I “finished” the game and started to show it to others, I kept hearing “why isn’t this a mobile game?”

As such, I’ve started a port, but am having mixed success getting them to work (flawless on Galaxy S8 and unusable on Moto X). I think the flaw is in my code, so I’m going to have to tinker with it to figure this out. I also need to reduce the polygon count in a few specific areas, as it drops the framerate too much on mobile.

As for the “world” themes…you see exactly what my thoughts were. You listed a bunch of ideas of new mechanics, and I will definitely integrate those ideas into further level designs.

In addition to your feedback about naming your character, I’d also like to make some cutscenes and use stars to earn new characters/skins, with slightly different mechanics (ex - faster/slower flap speed, stronger flap force, etc…) I’d also like to save your progress. Everything I’ve listed, however, I don’t know how to do, so I’m going to continue with these courses, so I can figure out how to do all this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Zangk was playing an older build, where every flaw he mentioned (including the “quit” button) was a bug I’ve fixed since his post

2 Likes

It all takes time. It can be frustrating to say the least.

I’m currently going through an issue where 1) started when the current editor I was using would not export WebGL builds with audio…for whatever reason, the ogg vorbis files would only work if I tried a standalone build which led to 2) I imported some other different versions of editors and now I can’t even open the Build Settings page.

I’ve tried reinstalling Unity Hub and etc…etc…etc…but now I’m prepped for a complete OS reload.

Anyway, all I’m really saying is that these things take time, and you’ll definitely run into some weird, unprecedented issues.

I’m glad you liked some of the ideas I mentioned. I’m not trying to ‘re-write’ your game, but I did just finish a lesson about ‘extreme tuning’ in the Block Breaker tutorials and I had a thought pattern fresh in my mind.

Still, I really think you’re onto something that you can totally make your own. I look forward to seeing the next iteration of your game!

1 Like

Privacy & Terms