Does this course is compatible with the new UIToolkit system?

Hello,

I’m currently learning unity and was wondering if this inventory system is compatible with the new UIToolkit system. I do have a frontend developer(mostly JS framework)/UX-UI Designer background and would prefer to use something I understand quite well (USS is really close to CSS which I know quite well). The canvas system is really cumbersome and would like to give UIToolkit a try. I was wondering if the assets provided in this course are compatible with the new toolkit or if they are totally tied to the canvas system. Thanks

1 Like

The course doesn’t teach the new UIToolkit stuff, no. But nothing is tied to the UI off the bat. The course uses the old UI but it’s created as we go. If you have the savvy, you could certainly try to do the UI with UIToolkit but support may be lacking. I would personally go through the course and follow everything using the old UI, and afterwards try to convert the UI to UIToolkit.

The UI Toolkit is definitely NOT less cumbersome. :slight_smile:
That being said, I did a total conversion of the UIElements earlier this year, although the code is slightly ugly. I suppose at some point, I should clean it up and make a tutorial out of it.
The hardest part is that the current Drag system is totally incompatable with UIElements. I had to write a completely new one from scratch.

1 Like

I see, I will follow the canvas system for this course. And might use UI toolkit later. I can still use UI Toolkit for other UI stuff. I was asking because I can layout quickly pretty much any UI in CSS + JSX/HTML (Which is a similar approach for data structure to XML/USS)

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms