Does it matter if I use URP for Unity 3rd Person Combat & Traversal?

is it okay if I use basic 3D core unity for this project, or does URP heavily influence this course

You can use the Build In Render if you wish. We’re not doing anything special with URP.

We include URP in many of our newer courses because Unity has indicated that soon*, the Built In Renderer will go away in favor of URP and HDRP.

*The definition of “soon” for Unity is anywhere from six months to five years depending on the package in question and Unity’s current priorities.

2 Likes

The only thing that may be an issue is the Shader Graph for the grid. Hugo already changed it in the attached package and shows what he did and how you could do it yourself. I’m also not sure if the supplied assets will be happy in built-in. Afaik the supplied Synty assets use URP shaders. There is a section early in the course regarding the URP as well as post processing. You could, of course, ignore all of this since it has nothing to do with the gameplay. It’s really all about what the game looks like.

Except for that this is asking about Third Person Combat and Traversal, and not Turn Based Strategy, this is correct. :stuck_out_tongue:

Synty assets tend to default to BRP, but contain URP shaders that can be extracted.

I am so dumb. I totally read ‘3rd Person Combat & Traversal’ and thought ‘Turn-based Strategy’… Disregard everything I said…

definitely not asking for spoilers or anything but will there be a course to link this and the rpg core course so I can implement inventory dialogue and shop etc. :eyes:

I’ve been working on a tutorial for this, but I keep hitting false starts, mostly because what I’ve been trying to do is to port the 3rd person into the RPG course and not the other way round.

is really is that difficult to connect them huh?

I’ve started this a while back and it’s not trivial. It’s like trying to connect Pacman and Super Mario. I mean they are 2 completely different mechanics and both were written to support those mechanics. Now we need to change one to support the other’s. But it is doable. I never finished what I was doing because I got distracted again but from my experience it fits better to put the RPG on top of the 3rd person controller

Privacy & Terms