Does anyone here have a fully-working UE5.3+Linux+VSCode+C++ setup to share?

So I’m doing the beginner UE5 C++ course (a fantastic set of lectures so far!), at the point of having finished the intro Blueprint section “Warehouse Wreckage” and about to embark on the “Obstacle Assault” C++ section, and have this basic-setup problem (for the sake of the UE forum, I distilled it to a minimally-reproable example, hence no Obstacle Assault stuff but the factory-defaults 3rd-Person template) but I notice all questions on the VSCode + Linux combination seem to go mostly “Unresolved” in UE5 official forums, so wanted to ask here in the community — what exactly is your working Linux-based VSCode-based “UE5 C++ setup”?

To distill the above link in 2 pics:

I was so delighted to find the UE5 editor runs stably and well even without needing to build-from-source, simply via the redistributable ZIP from Epic, that I was quite optimistic about the C++ IDE integration also having a “well-working setup already shaped in”, but wrt. to error-diagnostics-reports it looks like that goes only for VS itself or maybe for Windows. What would be the hang up that causes those “C/C++ extension” error-diagnostics?

I did do Tools / Refresh Visual Studio Code Project.

The good news: running the as-mentioned-in-this-particular-lecture ( #8_oa_ec5 ) build command works! So it seems on Linux the C/C++ extension is (or is currently set up to be) dumber than the actual compiler+linker tooling in the background, ie. doesn’t fully grok this project setup here with non-MS C++ compilers?

Right now it looks like I can do UE5 C++ing by disabling in-editor diagnostics for .cpp/.h then! Very retro, might even warm up to that. But… anyone have a better setup that that? :grin:

I have done a little bit of Obstacle Assault (mainly to see if my setup was working), but I think when I did it there was UE 5.2.x…
I can’t say much about the VSC setup, it might be similar than what you’ve got already.

As for the system setup, a good starting point would be which Linux system you’re running :wink:

Hi @heckert thanks for reporting back! Good to hear you got it all behaving more smoothly than me so far, at least with 5.2! Gives one optimism. What held ya back from 5.3 so far? =)

Well happy to share for sure, brand-new Arch-based “Garuda Linux” install on a brandnew MSI laptop with an NVIDIA, drivers verified working well via prime-run, UE running on driver too (it locks up quickly without), everything up-to-date within the last 3-4 days, incl. system gfx libs (gl, vulkan, mesa etcpp) and compilers (gcc, clang) and VSCode (but let’s not forget that UE5 anyway pulls and local-installs its dependencies according to its own needs for its editing and build logics — likely helping ensure those beautifully successful and unbugged Build runs, for once).

If the C/C++ extension wasn’t MS’ one but clangd (my usual preference), I could check the generated compile_commands.jsons for any missing parts, but what MS’ C/C++ ext uses in-place I’ll have yet to figure out. Probably all the files in the workspace’s UE-generated .vscode dir but that still leaves figuring out what little pesky details are off or missing in those (and apparently only under Linux plus the 5.3.x family — severely doubt distro itself would matter with full dev ecosystem complete and fresh, or the errors would be of a whole other kind and per file, either just-the-1 or sth. like many 1000s).

Well, for starters I’m running Kubuntu 22.04 (first I had LMDE on that machine but that had some difficulties). But yeah, it should work on Arch derivates as well…

As for compilers I’ve got clang-14, clang-15, gcc-11, g+±11, gcc-12 as well as llvm-14 and llvm-15 installed so there’s a pretty broad range available…

As for the Engine version I believe when I did some stuff 5.2.1 was still current…
(According to the file dates it was in July)

Besides the basic C/C++ extension I also have an “C/C++ Extension Pack” installed in Code, and one called “ue4-snippets package”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms