Do we need NET Core SDK from MS?

Tried to follow what to install for VS,… extensions like C# by MS… But a message asked for NET core SDK which isn’t on my system. Do we need it?

NEED it? That depends if you’re doing anything that needs it.

For Unity, I don’t think so, but it’s been a long time since I’ve installed a fresh system and Unity. I remember that Unity installs what you need. What is giving you the message?

When I open new script, C# in VS screams that this SDK is missing and ask if I want it in or silence this prompt. My laptop wasn’t meant for a developer, so storage is limited. I try not to install things I don’t need.

When you write your code, does Unity and Visual Studio work without the SDK?

If so, I’d say it doesn’t need it.

I’ve been using Visual Studio Code for a while. It’s smaller, much quicker and free, not that it doesn’t have its faults. I had forgotten how annoying Visual Studio could be when it decided it wanted an update.

Oh yes, I just regained almost 5GB from ditching VS2019 Community Edition in favor of VSC as the newer material dictates.

For now it didn’t say it needed the SDK components… maybe it’s MS trying to upsell its product!

Just a FYI, dotNET CORE is a set of libraries. If you end up including any of those libraries, you’d end up needing at least dotNet Core, and if I understand right, the SDK. If you were just using some software that used dotNET CORE, you’d need that, but I’m fairly sure they’re included in Windows 10.

It’s very common for C# developers to use it and keep it up to date, but Unity uses a specific C# library. I believe it’s a slightly older dotNET CORE library. Don’t quote me on this, I could be well off the mark. So far I haven’t cared to look that far under the hood.

Noted. Thanks MichaelP. I won’t install the SDK yet then. And see if the later part of the course ask for it.

Do we need the sdk

I didn’t install the SDK and so far it still works without any issue.

I’m also getting this prompt. It warns me that .NET Core debugging will not be enabled. I’m assuming from these posts that everyone’s course work is going well and any debugging provided by VSC is working as intended? I’m brand new here and just getting started and hope to avoid confusion that may set me off course at a later date.

edit: the prompt also mentions to make sure the SDK is ‘on path’. I’ve been digging through the VSC menus and cannot see any mention of libraries. I’m assuming then that if I do wind up installing the SDK that it should go in the install folder for VSC?

Thus far no issues despite not installing the SDK. I am also just a new student. No staff has responded.

Thanks for the info. I’ve let my OCD get me hung up on this issue all day. I’ve been stuck trying to figure out why VSC couldn’t locate the SDK that I wound up installing… even though I could find it in the terminal… I’ll just take a breath and move on. Thanks

Privacy & Terms