In this challenge we were asked to take our beveled chess piece base and dissolve geometry (specifically horizontal edges) to make it low poly.
I really did not like losing all of the detail that we had added in a previous challenge - Mike’s 6 horizontal edge loops make the piece a bit too sharp for me. So I tried to dissolve as much as I could (horizontal edges only for this challenge) whilst sticking to the original shape. Here’s what I came up with:
Before (610 faces):
First attempt at low poly (193 faces):
What I ended up with (289 faces):
I think I’ll go with the third mesh, as it retains some of the detail that I want in the piece without going too high poly.
I also tried the decimate modifier but couldn’t find a result that I liked - good to know it’s there though.