Display Message Binding - Easier route

Hi,

So i thought i would mention it is much easier and far more simple to create a binding on the text of the textblock in use. To do this you create a variable Message which is of type TEXT. Then for switch on int you set the text to either Get Ready!, 2, 1, Go!.
switch text

After this is complete move into the Designer tab, click on your TextBlock then go to the text area. On the right hand side you will see a drop down with the name Bind. In this drop down select your new variable Message.
binding text
Then you are done!

This binding links to the variable Message and any time you change this variable it will auto be reflected on the TextBlock.

4 Likes

if you want to stick closer to the lesson and have it be just a small bit less messy too you can bind 1 display text instance to every settext box like this:

honestly yours looks more messy than mine. lol.

to each your own I guess

however it’s a lot more customizable because it uses variables instead of being hard coded and sticks closer to the actual lesson.

Bro, it’s the exact same thing. You hard code the values into the display text. Changing the value of the display text at each case. I do the exact same thing, except I bind it to a text object before setting it manually setting it for every case. Both use the text object, mine just makes it shorter. I could have also created a new binding which gives me the extension of “functions”. But I’ve been working with unreal for 6+ years. The only reason I’m taking some courses is my unfamiliarity with the c++ side of things and I basically taught myself unreal. So I wanted to know tips and tricks I have not learnt myself. Found about 6+ things so far that I did not know about. Blueprints can get messy very fast, so to limit the extensions and find more efficient solutions the better. I’ve found directly binding text objects / images etc in widgets is a far more efficient solution in the long run and it keeps it nice and flexible for when I want to join it into other functions and blueprints.

Like I said in my earlier reply, “to each their own” - meaning who cares which way you do it, I just wanted to show my simpler solution to others.

Also, I could just as easily made an array of text types which hold all the values then just stepped through each array item, up to the delay time. That is actually more flexible as you only need to change the array I.e. add more items and you can change the delay time without much hassle.

ok so what exactly do you achieve here by demeaning someone trying to present an alternative? like you say “I just wanted to show my solution” as if I’m not in the same boat. I was just sticking closer to the basic idea of the lesson. Why are you trying to make this an argument when it doesn’t need to be?

I wasn’t actually angry when writing the above. It did sound like you were upset with my first reply though. So I wanted to show the reasoning behind my solution plus other flexible solutions to anyone who happens to read this too I.e. “flexible and sticks closer to the actual lesson.” It sounded like you were upset that I was using other solutions. Using the word flexible is hard in cases since almost anything could become flexible depending on how its used. Also the word hard coded is a pretty bad term when writing code and it usually means you need to make a variable which holds the information instead of using content them selves directly. Which we are both doing either way except manually writing the text each instance is the “hard coded” part. Which what I thought you were talking about.

Also I am sorry about the message, I honestly was not trying to argue or “demean” you. Also if you wanted to show your solution then you could have put it in your own post? Also I apologise for my first response, I saw you wrote something so I read and wanted to reply so you saw that I took the time to read it. It was a bit of a lackluster response, I just didn’t really know what to say. And I was joking around too.

Privacy & Terms