Disco Bish with Notch

I wanted to keep the puff on top of the bishop’s hat whole, so I adjusted my notch object down on the Z to preserve it, and then I removed doubles to clean up the overall shape of the cut-out. For fun, I added some color to the original point light, and dropped in a second light with a different hue.

1 Like

It’s really cool that your base is slightly square-shaped :open_mouth:
Nice lighting btw, really looks like it’s up for a disco party!

Thanks!! I got a bit crazy at first and made it scalloped at first, and then I got to the point where Mr. Bridges reminded us that this was a LOW POLY chess set, and I had to chop out a whole lot of data. lol

I didn’t start over on the pieces, because the angular, non-circularity of it reminded me of old gem-style D&D dice.

Yea… I was a bit upset when I had to make those beautiful pawns and then found out I had to delete most of them to make them low poly :disappointed_relieved:
Anyway, now that you mention it, the base shape and the lighting really do remind me of D&D dice too! :open_mouth: I take it you’re a D&D player then :smirk:

Yup, though I stopped buying “system upgrades” at 3.5. I was going to get into Pathfinder, but then Pathfinder went 2.0, and I was like, “NOPE!”

Hmm :thinking: I don’t know what Pathfinder is really, but I assume it’s another tabletop RPG? I’ve only played tabletop RPGs and board games for a couple of months now, not that long really, and I’m not familiar with this one :see_no_evil: I’m curious to know what it’s like though!

Short answer: Pathfinder is what the Dungeons and Dragons property became after WoTC and Hasbro bought the name “Dungeons and Dragons.”

And to Mansplain:
There was a buyout of the Dungeons and Dragons name. (I think) Wizards of the coast bought the name, but the original creators held some modicum of ownership to the intellectual property. So, After 3.5, the D&D franchise split into Dungeons and Dragons (New Ownership) and Pathfinder (Original Ownership).

Pathfinder more closely resembles the previous incarnation of the game, which was 3.5, and D&D had to reinvent itself.

IMO, The essence of Dungeons and Dragons was lost when the d20 Open License came out. OL was a stronger system, to be sure, but it very quickly turned to pander to MMO players, and the classic exploits (that gave life to so many character classes) were eradicated. As time progressed, and the game evolved, it more and more began to resemble the Damage Per Second methodologies of MMORPGs, and focused almost entirely on combat. 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons (Which is not the original property) seems to have tried to return to the roots of D&D which relied heavily on giving the players vague tools and encouraging imaginative solutions to challenges. The problem is (again, IMO) The new system falls short.

“Back in my day,” D&D was dangerous, gritty, scary. We made three or four characters at a time, because most of them would die over the course of one module adventure. These days, if a PC is killed in combat, it seems to be through either willful stupidity (Jumping into the dragon’s mouth) or, Dungeon Master abuse.

Ooooh my dog, what a wall of text. I do apologize for my blathering. D&D history is something I am quite dorky about.

Oh wow, that’s quite the story and it’s clear you’re very familiar with the topic! Don’t worry about it though, I enjoyed reading it. Sometimes, actually, I have the same problem, I tend to babble around more than I probably should simply because I feel the need to say everything (in writing, this doesn’t always apply for speaking rofl).
It’s hard to think of D&D as a “dangerous, gritty and scary” game for the players. I’ve only played 5e several times now (once trying out the DM role) and it was really fun. Of course, the challenge never ceased to exist, but we also had puzzles to solve and NPCs to talk to, so it wasn’t all combat combat combat. I suppose it depends very much on the DM really :slight_smile:
In my one-shot I was actually too mild a DM :joy: My players even told me I should increase the difficulty during combat, but I purposefully did it easier because I was new to DMing and some of my players had never tried D&D before. Still, it was a whole lot of fun when the rogue stole half the pile of gold in the wisps’ clearing DURING COMBAT, and when the orc solved all 4 riddles (when only 2 of them were necessary).
And here I go writing a whole block of text that I hope is not too boring :sweat_smile:

Lol not at all! It seems we’re both pretty eager story tellers. Most of the danger and grit in old D&D came from the number of ways in which a player character could just… die. Poisons were “Save, or die.” Some monsters killed instantly on a natural 20. Even well-planned adventures that were balanced and fair by game-mechanic standards, had a high kill rate, but that was part of the appeal.

Oh wow, that sounds almost like a massacre to me! Good thing I didn’t know about the game back then, I’m not sure I would have enjoyed dying over and over :sweat_smile:

Privacy & Terms