Different way of adjusting the brick height

Hey there,

I have a different approach to adjusting the brick height of our bricks pattern which we did in the lecture Procedural Brick - Brick Pattern.

At about 10:20 in the lecture Stephen explains how to adjust the width and the height of our brick pattern. This is the solution of our challenge from a few moments before in the lecture. Stephen explains that we can adjust the vector math scale node to adjust the brick height. I did the challenge and came up with a different approach and I was actually surprised I got it differently. So here is my setup:

So the main difference is that in order to adjust the height of the bricks I adapt the values of the nodes within our current tree rather than the overall scale. By doing so I was aiming to be able to adjust the brick height without adjusting the brick width and thats because if we lower the overall scale, we would kind of “zoom in” on our brick pattern, which of course would increase our brick height, but simultaneously affect our brick width.

So I did some testing and here is the example:

The first pattern is our initial pattern without increased brick height. The second brick pattern is where I used my approach to double the brick height and the last one is where I used the scaling approach to double the brick height. As expected, when we use the scaling approach to double the brick height we also double the brick width, but in the adapted approach we dont.

Found this interesting and thought I should share it here.

3 Likes

Privacy & Terms