Design Patterns for Game Programming

A course where the focus is the application of the Gang of Four patterns(and other patterns) and how they are used specifically for game development . Could offer both in c++ and c#. I know some of these patterns are talked about in the unity and unreal courses but it would be great to have them be the focus and be explained in depth with examples or small practice projects .

Good reference book -

7 Likes

Without really knowing what this is, it’s kind of hard to support it.
It is like Singletons? I know a lot of folks who still don’t quite get that.

The singleton pattern is one of the Gang of Four patterns . There are alot of them.
If you go to the section “Patterns by Type” you can see them all.

Programming Patterns will make your code hundreds if not thousands of times better because they bring solutions to problems people have faced before not only in game programming, but in general programming. Singleton pattern is one of them, but there are more like factory, creation and others, the book in the link does a good job explaining the concepts, but a course would be great.

DO IT IN C++ PLEASE!

I don’t mean to yell, I just love the language.

I was rather thinking to a complete set of lessons to cover all the applicable C# patterns to Unity. Ben had a very good explanation of the Observer Design Pattern. Perhaps some of us know how Factory is working, but is difficult to apply it to Unity’s specific classes.

As for the books, the best I know regarding C# Design Patterns is: Agile Principles, Patterns, and Practices in C# by Robert and Micah Martin. ISBN-13: 978-0131857254

Privacy & Terms