Deleting materials entirely? And what is the "Dots Stroke" material?

The lecture just tells me Blender will delete a material for me if a material isn’t used in the scene, after saving and reopening the .blend file.

I looked up how to delete a material completely, and not just from the object’s material list. Going to the outliner in the right-top corner → Display Mode → Blender file will give me an overview of what is all in the project, including the materials. This seems to be the way to delete materials. Or is there a different way to do this as well?

I was also wondering what the “Dots Stroke” material is that appears in this list. Deleting it doesn’t seem to affect the scene (yet).

2 Likes

So completely unused I would have to look it up. Why would anyone want to delete a material, why bother? It disappears if saved and reopened.
Likewise dot strokes, My guess is it is a grease pencil default stroke?

Frankly, I have never in my years of use of Bender ever even looked at that Display Mode → Blender at all till today trying to answer your question. :rofl:

1 Like

Blender by default removes unused items (material, bitmap, etc.) after you reopen the file.
But, there is a way to still keep stuff, even you don’t use it. It is called ‘Fake user’.
It’s is an unusual way, but very friendly. You don’t need to bother about this, the management of things.

But there is a reason behind this. If you throw away material, how do you know that it is not used somewhere else in a big project? And if removed how do you know where to replace the material by something else…? So Blender says, if no one uses it thet I clean it up for you. If you want to keep it, then mark it, with a ‘Fake user’. option.

‘dot stroke’ and ‘material’ are blender default undeletable.

Privacy & Terms