Defeated

Anyone else feel like throwing in the towel? I try doing things on my own in the challenges, but I either don’t understand or break something. I can’t seem to grasp what we’re doing sometimes no matter how many times I rewatch the video. 2 out of 3 games we’ve made are now unplayable because I did something wrong and I can’t fix them, even after retracing my steps. My ship doesn’t even move anymore and I didn’t even go into my script and of course, Unity saves everything even if I tell it not to.
I just feel completing defeated and am wondering if anyone else is struggling as much as I seem to be.

3 Likes

I am doing fine but I get you. Maybe try the 2D course before jumping back to this one, if you haven’t already?

I also check the discussions after every lecture and dive deep on the topics watching some YT videos as well.

Hope this helps, don’t give up!

1 Like

There is a certain amount of friction to learning something hard like game dev at the start. Persist. Eventually, you’ll learn how to help yourself (e.g. where to look online for solutions etc., what kind of errors you make, common gotchas etc.)

GameDev is HARD. Your struggle is nothing to do with you not being good enough. It’s to do with you learning. You WILL get over it.

In any case, problems is what the forums here (and on the discord) are for. I would recommend going to the discord where people will help you more readily.

Be encouraged, and keep going!

3 Likes

So burnout is a real thing in games development, what I would say is, either take a break, try a different course, or push on through, you’d be surprised how effective pushing through your sense of defeat actually starts to build motivation, some things may not be going right but you can either fix it or you can try a different aspect, finding the solution to on concept of game development can give you the motivation to come back to a problem.

On this course, I’m getting a little done and then sort of building up in my own mind too much what the next steps are, and then it’s throwing me off, but then when I actually just push through, I’m looking back like, yeah that wasn’t so bad actually.

Learning can be a painful process but when you have something learned, it’s not easily forgotten, you can always get back into the flow of things if you’ve put the effort into figuring out conceptually what’s happening.

I’m actually doing this course because I’ve hit a roadblock in my main project, the course has many aspects that I’m already aware of but I wanted to do it to get back into the flow so I can go back into my main project with some new stuff learned so that’s where my advice is coming from, take your time, either push through and see it’s not as bad as it feels on the surface or I would advise, take a break and come back to it.

I feel you mate, completely.

My best advice is to push through if its not breaking and if it is go back to where it wasnt broken and restart the lectures from that point. If you have lost all progress because of Unity saving and you have a broken project restart the project. That will help 2 fold because you will already understand even the smallest amount and that will allow you to take away other key points that Rick is talking about and it will allow you to apply the repetition part of learning.

Learning a new skill takes time, patience practice, repetition and time (yes I said time twice deliberately). If your brain hurts, go play some other games to get inspiration for your dream project or spend time away from games all together. Always ask for assistance from the community as most people are here also to help.

TLDR: learning is hard and takes time but you can do it if you give yourself breaks and reach out for help

Privacy & Terms