DefaultPawn_BP Auto Possess

In order to get my ‘DefaultPawn_BP’ to spawn rather than the ‘DefaultPawn’ (even after having placed my _BP pawn in the scene and set it as the game mode’s default pawn), I had to go to its ‘pawn’ setting and set “Auto Possess Player” to ‘Player 0’. Is this something that has changed since these videos were made?

If I don’t do this, the ‘DefaultPawn’ still gets spawned, and is what is controlled when you move about the game. The ‘DefaultPawn_BP’ is still in the scene, but does nothing.

Bryan

that’s weird, normally the process is just setting the pawn in the game mode, don’t even need to place the pawn in the world.

Are you sure that you’re using the appropriate game mode? Make sure to check for any override.

Hello!

I had a similar issue. I had created the proper gamemode BP and the defaultpawn BP. I also changed the default settings in the gamemode BP to use the pawn_BP. Verified and compiled the changes and then double checked I had the correct settings (both gamemode and pawn were BP). But still when pressing “Play” the game would spawn the default pawn without the grabber component. I even tried restarting several times, as instructed in another topic. After that I recreated the blueprints but the result was the same.

The workaround posted by Bryan is what actually worked and I managed to get the grabber logging properly. I am not sure what could affect this.

Hello again!

After fiddling around with the editor, I found the problem. In “Settings->World Settings” there was a gamemode override in place, which forced the default gamemode to be used. After I changed this to “none”, it started working like it does for Ben in the videos.

After a few minutes over this I found out by closing Unreal and reopening the project that the project settings related to game modes were all reset to “None”. When I changed again and saved all files, everything worked perfectly. Hence, I came to the - maybe not so right - conclusion that somehow, unreal did not computed/saved my first changes and that was the source of the problem.

Just to be more precise: I’ve checked the project settings several times in the first attempt and all settings were showing up correctly, but were not, in fact, being applied. Hope this helps.

Privacy & Terms