Default material for new objects question

So going through this course again with the new content I’ve updated to Unity 2020 ( 2020.2.f1 ) and when i create a plane in the default scene, the objects have the default-material which seems to be white.

It’s not a big deal to just add a new materials to stuff, but this is definitely not behaviour that is usual in my experience. Am I missing something? Did this change with Unity 2020 or am I maybe missing something else somewhere in terms of settings or default modules etc?

Thoughts?

Hi sryan,

What did you expect to happen? As for me, I don’t see any issue in your screenshot.

It’s not a problem per se … but if you look at the video at 1:13 of the lesson video, you see that when Rick adds the plane … it actually changes to a tan colour. Likewise Rick’s plane is using the default material. Why the difference? This suggests maybe that he modified the default-material ( although i got from some light reading this wasn’t a good idea ).

So it’s not a “problem” … it’s different behaviour and suggests there are some off-camera tweaking that caused that to happen.

Is this not the case?

The different colour might be caused by the lighting in the scene. I don’t know if you enabled the lighting or what exactly I’m seing in your screenshot because most of the Unity editor is cropped. Depending on your hardware, it might be that Unity generated the lighting faster than in Rick’s case.

The colour of the default material has been white for years. If it doesn’t look white, the “problem” is either in the scene or in the settings.

Heya! Just started again myself last night and got hung up on the color for… way too long :slight_smile:
What I did to “fix” (I say “fix” as it’s not an issue really, but preference) it was by creating a new Material (Assets -> Create -> Material) and changing the color of this newly created Material and dragging it onto the object.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks for the hint. Once you know this little detail, generating a handful of colours to dispense onto parts of the scenery is really simple, and with some of that, it immediately looks so much better. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms