Dark Wizard Saga - my text adventure

Here is my text based game that I created after following this course: [Dark Wizard Saga]

As you can see while playing it, I only created the first section, since I expanded upon the story portion. I put a lot of effort into making the first section and currently every section leads to a death scene (where you can restart) or puts you into the hallway. I haven’t went further yet because I’m unsure on if it my fiction writing skills are good enough, and I didn’t want to get caught up on this for too long when I have plenty more to learn from this course.

Anyway, One element I added myself is a health count. What I have so far doesn’t utilize it much, but as you can see when you play, it functions properly. If/when I continue the game, each decision that causes you to lose life will have a unique death scene if your health reaches zero. A lot of my text sections in each State were too long, so I used Bool statements meaning that when the player would press the button on the screen, it would switch the bool to true, which would then change the text on the screen while in the same State. If there is an easier way of doing that, please enlighten me. :slight_smile: I was also flirting with the idea of adding an experience system based on the type of magic you choose to use in each encounter.

If you read all of that, thank you for your time and willingness to help me along this process. If you can provide me your feedback and opinions, that would be fantastic. Basically I want to know what you thought of the story and game structure to determine if I should come back to this project. If so, then I will go back to it once I finish more of this course (when I need a break from new concepts by going back to stuff I already know.) Thanks again for listening to my ramblings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey there! Finished your game, here’s proof: http://puu.sh/pDjVh/395ff1ee8a.png

I quite liked the story, even though the jury would have never have came to that conclusion and buying smokes at the age of 18 isn’t set in stone everywhere. Also, my ending that I got was pretty screwed up. (I killed everyone :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

I agree with you on the linear decision path. It could be longer, however what was there was interesting and funny.

Pros:

• Good, but lacking in terms of length, story
  • You have magic

Cons:

• The idea of you having magic came out of the left field
  • Story has those plot holes mentioned previously

Overall, 7/10

Thanks for the detailed review, your feedback is very valuable to me. I’m glad you like what I currently have within the game. I’m thinking I will go back to it once I complete this course and flush it out a little more. I planned on changing the jury thing and finding a way to ease the magic into the story in a way that is not so abrupt. I will be sure to post the finished game on here whenever I get to that point.

Thanks again for the honest review. :slight_smile:

Privacy & Terms