Daily Speed Models

Missed a day yesterday. Here’s today’s. Topic: “School”

It ended up as basically a block-out of the scene I was envisioning. I still want to get faster, but here I made the classic mistake of thinking I could do more in an hour than I actually could. Seems kind of obvious in hindsight. Plus I did waste a good chunk of time playing around with a higher poly human mesh I had made before, and then ended up not using it.

7 Likes

That is strange, as I had no issue getting there, and/or bookmarking it.

I don’t know what browser you use, but I use Firefox, and if there was an issue with the site, Norton 360 would give me hell (so to speak).

claustrophobic

1 Like

Great and topical! No children in the scene due to the virus. :rofl: Clearly she is live streaming a lesson into their homes more like proper on line courses. :grin: Only being a schoolroom teacher she has forgotten the chalk is not showing up on the board for the camera.

2 Likes

You know, I was wondering what she was pointing at, unless part of that is a piece of chalk, and not all her index finger. :wink:

1 Like

Ha! Yes, that’s why I did it! It was for artistic reasons… not because I ran out of time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes, I would have added some windows on one of the walls If I had more time.

I do that with a boolean modifier. A trick I learned from Blender Guru.
Not that I didn’t know boolean, but the ease it brings in positioning holes, window, doors.

3 Likes

“Breakfast”

Time: 1 hour. Rendered in Cycles. Tablecloth texture from Textures.com. Other textures procedural.

5 Likes

“Drink”

6 Likes

Doesn’t the square bottle still need smooth shading?

1 Like

I suppose it could. When things are so low poly I think they sometimes look better flat shaded. I’ll try it though.

Here’s how it looks smoothed.

Maybe it doesn’t fit the scene, since the scene is going for realism, but I think I like the flat shaded one better. However I think it’d be an artistic decision to fit whatever style you were going for.

Edit: The low poly bottles use alpha transparency; the high poly use transmission.

4 Likes

“Building”

The plan was to make something out of them but only got this far. But I’ve decided to try to get at least one reusable asset out of each of these so at least I have LEGOs to play with now.

7 Likes

In an online tutorial, the height of a brick was managed by a shape key.
A very smart way of creating height variants. Only the bottom vertices where handled.
I can not recall if he had a trick for the notches also (maybe an array).

Have fun.

1 Like

“Bat”

Cycles, 90 minutes. Pairs from left to right: high poly, low poly smooth, low poly flat

Missed a couple days, but I wanted to go back and do this one. Dirt reused from my Viking PPE, originally from Textures.com. Cement from Textures.com too.

8 Likes

“Train Yard”

This one was not a speed model, though the actual modeling was very fast. Also wasn’t really daily since I worked on it over a couple days. However I got the topic from /r/daily3D so it still fits this thread in my opinion.

Anyway it was an interesting one. It seemed like something that would have been more fit for scripting. Lots of tedious, methodical mathematical adjustments. Pretty easy to make, but time consuming. All done mostly with Array modifier (set to fit to curve) + Curve modifier, and Follow path object constraint with varying offsets.

Edit:
I added a looped video

7 Likes

Wow that looks super cool, and I love the idea too. How did you make the trains disappear when they went out of the given space? It gives an awesome effect.

2 Likes

Possibly the boolean modifier? I would like to no myself, need that effect for some things.

1 Like

Thanks! @Ethan_Martinez is correct, it is a boolean.

I made a big cube with a hollow center. Then I used that cube for the boolean object of all the trains.

The lines you can see sticking out are curves. Each train track was defined by a separate curve, and the trains all followed those same curves for their animation. That’s not relevant to the Boolean but I thought it was interesting

5 Likes

Privacy & Terms