CYOQ - Escape from Hagfish Harbor

This is Escape from Hagfish Harbor: The Rise of Blud Bunny! It’s horror, humor, and heart all rolled into a cuddly, adorable, blood-drenched text adveture game. If you poke around enough, you may even encounter some cosmic horror (for you Lovecraft fans out there).

I spent all day today working out the loops, editing typos, adding new pages to reduce redundancy. I really hope you all like it, and that you’ll share feedback, bugs, etc. And I CAN’T WAIT to start playing some of your games as well!

One quick note…if you get to the “good” ending, there’s one more screen if you push “1.” I just didn’t realize that I exceeded my text box on that page for some reason…

5 Likes

Okay so I have played about 3 paths. (I think?) But this is pretty entertaining. You definitely have a sense of humor, your writing shows it. I completed the good ending and became the blud bunny and am proud of it.

I encountered the cosmic horror, though I don’t know which one is was but that sequence was fun.

Overall solid CYOQ game, I only see one bug if it even is a bug. When you die, if you choose game over you move to the state where your options are Tuck and Roll, Dodge, and Bunny hop. And if you choose start over you start back at the tent with the pika who will munch you.

I also see what you mean with the text, I don’t know why the quotations would do that. did you attempt to install the text and use it in a word document? Maybe it is just how the text atlas does the quotations.

1 Like

Thank you so much for playing! I feel like I can make it more entertaining if I spend more time on jokes (and scares) but for an assignment, I think it works :slight_smile:

Thanks also for telling me about those bugs. I just got done fixing a minor continuity issue in the forest that no one would likely even notice, so I’ll look at those now. I haven’t tested the death paths nearly as much as the other parts so I’m sure I’ll find it quickly. I really shot myself in the foot trying to make this game one where you can kind of move around open-world style…in a very minor way… Haha.

I;m going to do some more looking into TMP and see if there’s a way to fix that issue, but it’s not a huge deal right now. In the future, when I work on bigger games, I will want to have that figures out, so may as well do it now!

I think if you wanted you could move this game from something text based to a mini rpg, with simple sprites and scenes displaying the results of each choice. I do like that pixel art aesthetic though, and it works for your theme for sure.

1 Like

Hey! Thanks for the feedback. I agree. I’ve been thinking a lot about doing this as a top-down RPG type thing. It’s actually the prequel story for a sidescroller I’m working on called Blud Bunny. It might be cool to do this RPG style as a freebie for anyone who buys the sidescroller game.

Thanks again for the kind words :smiley:

1 Like

That’s pretty cool to use this game example as a starting point for a better game. Top down rpg could work, or a 2d sidescroller. Many paths to go down.

1 Like

Privacy & Terms