CyberBreak - a breakout clone

https://myriamcarre.itch.io/cyberbreak

Hey guys! I’ve just finished and posted my game. I put a lot of effort into it so I’d be happy for some feedback!
I had so so much fun doing this and I hope it shows.
Play 10 levels with this brick breaker game.

I created all the art, sounds and code.

CyberBreakGameplay

https://myriamcarre.itch.io/cyberbreak

10 Likes

Great music and animations! Retrowave aesthetics is one of my favourites!
Let me give some constructive criticism:
Soundtrack from Start Menu is suitable only in Menu because the game itself has its own rhythm.
If you will add some music in your games in future - try to synchronize music beats per minute rhythm and gameplay rhythm. That is the reason why in my game there is no music in levels.
In other aspects - you doing very good! Good job! :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Haha! Loved it! Managed to reach Lvl7.

2 Likes

Wow, just amazing! So many great things. Sound, visuals, animations, rediculously polished! :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback I really appreciate it!

I wanted to do a sort of flow effect with the song but shoot, didn’t work out haha
I’ll keep this in mind next time :smiley:

1 Like

Yesss good job perhaps next time you’ll beat it :smile:

1 Like

Oooh man this makes my day!
Thank you so much :relaxed:

I understand because my thoughts were the same: to make synchronized music beats and gameplay.
If you like the idea of beats synchronized gameplay - you can search two interesting things in the future:

1. BPM Counter - there are many tools which can give you correct BPM information on any soundtrack;
  2. YouTube tutorials about making rhythm-games on Unity 3D - there are a lot of very informative free tutorials

It is a time-consuming process to make such type of gameplay. It is true art, also. Even very good and reputable rhythm games can have levels with not very good synchronization. A good challenge for the future to all of us!
:tiger:

1 Like

Oh thanks a lot for those ideas! Maybe when I’m done with the course I’ll check those out. Or if one game in the course strikes me as the type of game that could benefit from being rythm based :metal:

1 Like

This is an incredibly polished game! The player feedback is absolutely awesome and I had a blast playing it! Every little feature makes the game feel slick!
If you don’t mind me asking, how did you make the score pop everytime it increased and the blocks flash and also pop up like the score?
Amazing work with the game!

1 Like

Very balanced game with a good user experience due to ball speed - not too slow and not too quick - an extremely well balanced design and adequate increase of difficulty.
Congrats on the music too!

1 Like

I love this. Very polished well done !

1 Like

The Lives System is especially good. I am trying to work out how you did it. I cant find any tutorials that show you how to add 1 extra life every time you reach next level.

1 Like

Thank you so much @AlphaPhantom ! This really means a lot considering how much effort I put into it.
For the score popping every time it increased I used something called LeanTween. There’s a lot of documentation on how to use it. Basically you can animate or tween anything through code with this. In this particular situation, I increased the scale during a small amount of time before returning it to it’s size.
I used the exact same line of code for the blocks.

@Patricia Thanks! I was wondering if my game was balanced haha

@louise_collins Thank you! I created a integer called currentLives and added to it every time the game knows the player destroyed all the blocks, right before loading the next level. Hope it helps!

1 Like

Thanks ! finding this tricky

1 Like

Thanks a ton @Carre! Thats a nice implementation of the code. Hope to implement this into my game as well! I am also trying to implement the fade to black when changing my scene but somehow cannot access the animator.
Really appreciate that!

Thanks! If you get trouble with leantween feel free to message me, sometimes two brains are better than one when we’re stuck haha
For the transition, I followed Brackeys tutorial on youtube on the subject. Maybe you already know about this in that case, nevermind :smile:

1 Like

How did you get game to pause ?

Excellent job with the aesthetics and the sound design. Great work with the infinite terrain effect (i am guessing scrolling texture) and the various subtle effects with the score text & audio.
The game play is balanced enough that I finished one of these after a long time.

1 Like

Yess! @codermonk, you finished i! Thank you, I didn’t know if anyone did it so I’m really happy :smiley:
Thank you for the kind comment as well :relaxed:

@louise_collins We already implemented a way to speed the gameplay in the course (to use when testing on autoplay) so I though I could use this to pause the game as well. I put that in a if statement to see if the player presses the escape button. There’s probably a better way to implement this though haha

Privacy & Terms