Cutting the door - Knife vs Boolean modifier / Better way?

Hello there,
I wonder if the Complete Blender Creator course will dive deeper into the Boolean modifier. @Grant_Abbitt

I’m a CAD user, and open meshes, etc. are a no go at my work (3D printing). So, this triggers me :smiley:

About the Boolean, in Rhinoceros CAD a typical workflow looks like this (left to right):

• Intersect objects
  • Do the Boolean operation (subtract arch from wall)
  • Done

For clarity I moved the objects apart. Objects could be merged during the operation.

Can blender do this?

ps: I started this course to be able to build objects I can use in software like Davinci Resolve Fusion.

3 Likes

Yes, but Blender and Booleans aren’t best friends. Keep it simple, don’t make complex boolean constructs. But apply a boolean modifier (save a copy) first. And you need probably more steps. Or use a different approach (non CAD-like).

Blender has a 3D-Printer plug-in (See addon in preferences) to check on 3D printer problems: overhang, manifold …

Blender wasn’t designed primarily for 3D printing and or CAD.
Blender is very forgiving in this - freedom for the artist.

There are also Blender add-ons for CAD-like UI.

2 Likes

Thx. I guess I just must wrap my head around it.

Your comment triggered a thought … Google … here we go → blender has a built-in plug-in called Bool Tool to make Boolean operations easier, or more CAD-like.

How to work with the Bool Tool - free Addon | Tutorial - YouTube

I’ll give this a try. It looks like I am not alone with the need for better Booleans. :smiley:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Privacy & Terms